If you’re in the mood for a sweet treat to eat, go grab your fork! May 19 is National Devil’s Food Cake Day, an annual food “holiday” that celebrates the rich and moist chocolaty dessert Americans love to eat – devil’s food cake.
Typically made with cocoa instead of chocolate, devil’s food cake is an airy cake that is usually topped with a decadent chocolate frosting. Enjoyed since the late 1800s, some believe the sinfully delicious cake got its unusual name after the popular Angel Food Cake was “invented.”
Why not indulge in a little chocolate delight, by whipping up one or two of the recipes listed below in honor of National Devil’s Food Cake Day?
Sinfully Delicious Devil’s Food Cake Recipes
- David’s Devil’s Food Cake – Fair warning – this rich and decadent cake is from the amazing David Lebovitz. ‘Nuff said!
- Pippa’s Devil’s Food Cake – Pippa Middleton, yes, THAT Pippa, shares this divine recipe in her new book, “Celebrate.”
- Devil’s Food Cheesecake – This fabulous five-star cheesecake from “Junior’s Cheesecake Cookbook“, takes a while to whip up so start now!
- The Only Chocolate Cake Recipe You’ll Ever Need – This popular cake recipe has nearly 300 reviews.
- Devil’s Food Cake – This four-layered masterpiece calls for bittersweet chocolate, heavy cream, eggs, sour cream, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda and powder and three beets!
- Amazing Red Devil’s Food Cake – This glorious cake, from Campbell’s Kitchen, get its reddish hue from tomato juice.
- Devil’s Food Cake with Hazelnut Crunch – This recipe, from Cakes & Ale, includes buttermilk, instant espresso, hot coffee, heavy cream, milk chocolate, cocoa powder, light corn syrup, semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, Nutella, rice cereal and hazelnuts. Be sure to read the comments prior to baking.
- BH&G Devil’s Food Cake – This made-from-scratch recipe, from Better Homes & Gardens, calls for unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda and powder, cinnamon, whipping cream, cream cheese, eggs, corn syrup, all-purpose flour, shortening, sugar, semisweet chocolate and vanilla.
- Devil’s Food Fudge Cookies – These 5-star cookies are from the folks at Duncan Hines.
- Devil’s Food Cake Martini – You can’t have a decadent holiday without a fabulous beverage! This martini recipe calls for sugar, cocoa powder, chocolate shavings, Creme de Cacao, Frangelico and Chocolate Vodka.