When it comes to delicious food holidays, go grab your fork! July 13 is National French Fry Day, also referred to as National French Fries Day. Whether you like yours salty, spicy, loaded with all sorts of toppings or dipped in ketchup or vinegar, why not indulge in a little fried potato deliciousness in honor of the annual event?
While “traditional” fries are thin strips of potatoes deep-fried in oil and sprinkled with salt, today’s fries are available in a slew of shapes, sizes and flavors. folks have been enjoying the deep-fried potato strips for centuries. While the actual “inventor” is up for debate, fries are believed to date back to the 17th century.
If you happen to be a French fries fan, and who isn’t, Americans love fries no matter how you slice them! Whether you prefer yours thin and crispy, curly or thick, Americans eat about 29 pounds of fries annually.
And some businesses across the country will be serving up all sorts of French fry deals and events in honor of National French Fries Day.
National French Fry Day Deals, Events & Recipes
- French Fry Capital of the World Event – Folks in Florenceville-Bristol, New Brunswick, Canada, touted as the “French Fry Capital of the World,” will also be celebrating the annual event this year with all sorts of fry deals, freebies and samples. Besides French fry construction, cutting, potato sack races and face painting, they are also attempting to make the 2014 Guinness World Records for the largest piece of artwork, a mural that includes French fries. If you can’t be there in person, be sure to check out the time-lapse video. Visit their website for more information and festivities.
- Norma’s Cafe Freebie – Participating Norma’s Cafe won’t be servin’ up free fries, but will be giving away bottles of Norma’s Cafe “Really Fancy Cafe Catsup” for free – with any order of fries. This offer is for dine-in only, one freebie per table. This offer is valid one day early – on “Fry-day”.
- First-Ever French Fry Snacks – What looks like a fry, tastes like a fry, crunches like a fry but isn’t really a fry? Ruffles recently announced the launching of its brand new snack – Ruffles Crispy Fries Potato Strips, available in two flavors – Original and Cheese-Flavored. The first-ever French fry-shaped chips will roll out nationwide this month.
- Perfect Homemade French Fries – If you’re looking for the perfect French fry recipe, look no further!
- Sweet Potato Fries Recipe – Why not try a healthier alternative to traditional French fries with this “sweet” recipe from the Snack Girl?
Today is also National Bean ‘n’ Frank Day! Enjoy!