Today celebrates all things French. Not only is July 14 Bastille Day, it is also National Grand Marnier Day! This annual food holiday celebrates France’s “first and most exported liqueur” – Grand Marnier!
Invented in France in the 1880s, Grand Marnier is a sweet liqueur made from cognac and handpicked bitter oranges selected from plantations from the tropical regions of the world. The green Citrus Bigaradia peels are left to dry naturally for several weeks under the warm Caribbean sun ensuring the retention of an intense orange aroma and flavor. The delightful combination of the essence of orange, fine aged cognac and sugar syrup creates the tasty triple sec liqueur the world has grown to love. Besides being a delicious cocktail, Grand Marnier is often used in cooking.
In honor of National Grand Marnier Day, why not whip up one or two of the fabulous recipes listed below! Vive la France!
Grand Marnier Dishes & Desserts
- Grand Marnier French Toast – Add some ooh-la-la to your ho-hum French toast with this recipe from Bon Appetit.
- Grand Marnier Souffle – This recipe, from Williams-Sonoma, sounds divine!
- Fruit Kebabs with Grand Marnier – You’ll need fresh pineapple, bananas, oranges, strawberries, sugar, cinnamon and Grand Marnier for this dish.
- Crepes Suzette – This 5-star recipe from Bobby Flay calls for all-purpose flour, eggs, sugar, milk, vanilla extract, orange juice, and Grand Marnier.
- Roast Chicken with Grand Marnier Glaze – The glaze makes the dish.
- Bite Size Grand Marnier Cheesecakes – Now we’re talking!
Grand Marnier Cocktails & Drinks
- Grand Iced Cafe Latte – This refreshing beverage calls for Grand Marnier liqueur, cold milk and espresso. Voila!
- Orgasm – This creamy cocktail calls for Bailey’s Irish Cream, Grand Marnier, Cointreau Orange Liqueur and a maraschino cherry.
- Grand Cran – If you are a cranberry lover, you’ll love this simple drink. Besides Grand Marnier, all you need is cranberry juice and fresh lime.
- Grand Raspberry Fizz – This sparkling cocktail calls for Grand Marnier, raspberry puree or sorbet, lime juice, sugar syrup, raspberry syrup and soda water.
- Citrus Martini – You’ll need Lemon Vodka, Grand Marnier and lime juice for this refreshing cocktail.
- Long Island Iced Tea – This super-refreshing drink tastes just like tea but packs quite a powerful punch!
- Grand Cosmopolitan – Carrie Bradshaw would definitely dig this drink!
- Grand Margarita – This cool cocktail calls for Grand Marnier, Tequila, lime juice and a lime for garnish.
- 727 #2 – You’ll need vodka, Bailey’s Irish Cream, Kahlua and Grand Marnier for this one!
- Grand Marnier Milkshakes – This simple-to-make ice-cold drink calls for vanilla ice cream and Grand Marnier.
- All Warm and Fuzzy – This warm cocktail calls for Bailey’s Irish Cream, Kahlua, Butterscotch Ripple Schnapps, Grand Marnier, hot chocolate or coffee and whipped cream.
Bon appetit! And as always, please drink responsibly.
July 14 is also National Nude Day!