Let’s be “frank.” When it comes to special “howlidays,” July is going to the dogs! July not only celebrates those very special mutts of all shapes and sizes on Mutts Day, but July also celebrates one of America’s most favorite foods. July 23 is National Hot Dog Day, an annual food holiday that takes place during the dog days of summer. In fact, the whole month of July is National Hot Dog Month! Hot diggity dawg!
Fan favorites at ballparks across the country, hot dogs, franks and/or wieners are the perfect summer-time sandwich no matter where you eat them. While the name of the actual product is often used interchangeably, franks are typically comprised of all-beef while wieners usually contain pork.
Whether you prefer yours loaded with all the works, with or without the bun, New York or Chicago-style, Americans eat an average of 60 hot dogs per person, per year. In fact, the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council estimates Americans will consume more than 7 billion of the delicious dogs between the Memorial and Labor Day holidays.
In honor of the annual event, some establishments around the country will be servin’ up special hot dog deals and free frank freebies all day long!
Free Franks & Hot Diggity Dog Deals
- Sonic Hot Dog Specials – Stop by participating Sonic locations on July 23, 2013, and get a 6-inch Chili Cheese Coney or the All-American Dog for a buck all day long!
- Free Hot Dog at 7-Eleven – Participating 7-Eleven stores will also be giving away free dogs. You’ll need to use your free 7-Eleven mobile app to get a coupon for a free Big Bite hot dog from 7 – 11 on July 23, 2013.
- Kangaroo Express Hot Dog Deal – Participating Kangaroo Express locations will be serving up hot dog deals on July 23, 2013. Guests will receive a Ball Park dog for 25 cents and members of the military – with id – will get their franks for free. The offer takes place on July 23, 2013, from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Arby’s Sandwich Deal – While it ain’t a hot dog, Arby’s will be celebrating their 49th Anniversary on the very same day. Stop on by participating Arby’s on July 23, 2013, to receive a special deal on their Roast Beef Classic Sandwiches – just 64 cents – while supplies last. Coupon is required – one coupon per person.
- Free Dog at Ironwood Grill on the Green – Buy a beverage before 3:00 on July 23, 2013, and you’ll get a free hot dog at IronOaks in Sun Lakes, AZ.
- National Hot Dog Day in Canada – Our neighbors to the north will also be celebrating National Hot Dog Day in a fun way. The folks at Maple Leaf Foods and Dempster’s will be joining forces in honor of the event by offering all sorts of activities, online contests and promotions to help reduce hunger. More than $25,000 worth of fabulous prizes will be given away. And while you’re at it, be sure to check out the National Hot Dog Day Teaser Twitter Party, too.
- Wienerschnitzel Deal – Stop by participating Wienerschnitzel locations on Sunday, July 21, 2013, and get a Chili Dog, Mustard Dog or Kraut Dog for 61 cents.
- Imagine Nation Museum Event – Bristol’s Imagine Nation Museum will be celebrating National Hot Dog Day with a slew of family-friendly games and activities from 11 – 1:00 p.m. on July 23, 2013.
- Gourmet Hot Dog Recipes – Why not whip up one or two of these fabulous hot dog recipes in honor of National Hot Dog Day?
Please note – some locations may not be participating in this year’s event. Please call ahead or check the website for details.
Yep – July 23 is a real “wiener!” And by the way, National Hamburger Day is coming up!