Here’s what’s happening around the Metroplex during the week of May 20:
This week it’s the renewal of a tradition the Deep Ellum Brewing Company started before they were even open. Their 3rd Annual BrewBQ happens this coming Sunday, May 26 at 5 p.m. (4 p.m. for VIPs). Enjoy brews from Deep Ellum, Armadillo Ale Works, Martin House and Rabbit Hole, along with BBQ from local favorite Pecan Lodge. General admission is $40pp, or pay $60pp for VIP tickets which grant you early access to limited rarities that may not last until the main event.
Speaking of the guys from Armadillo, they’ll be tapping their second commercial release at the Oak St. Drafthouse on Friday, May 24 at 5 p.m. Greenbelt Farmhouse Ale, named after the Greenbelt Trail in northeast Denton, is an American/Belgian weizen hybrid spiced with grapefruit peel and coriander.
On the charity front, the Common Table will be the place to be on Tuesday as they hold their Granbury Relief Fundraiser. Year-round brews from Revolver will be on tap, with $1 from every pint sold going to the American Red Cross to help with rebuilding efforts in the brewery’s hometown.
Lastly, those on the north side of town should take note of a new weekly event being put on by the Holy Grail Pub. Starting May 23, they’ll be hosting Cellar Thursdays featuring brews that have spent additional time aging in their cooler. This week’s selection will be Left Hand Oak Aged Widdershins.
Monday, May 20
- The Ginger Man, Plano – 6 p.m. – Pint Night featuring Trumer Pils*.
- The Common Table, Dallas – 6 p.m. – Pour Man’s Beer Dinner featuring a flight of four beers paired with four courses for just $29 (check out the menu here).
Tuesday, May 21
- The Common Table, Dallas – 5 p.m. – Brewsday Tuesday featuring Revolver. Scheduled to be tapped: Bock, Blood & Honey, High Brass Ale and Mother’s Little Fracker.
- Londoner, Frisco – 5 p.m. – Pint Night featuring Rahr Summertime Wheat*.
- Flying Saucer on the Lake, Garland – 5 p.m. – Tap Night featuring Sierra Nevada Ovila Abbey Quad with Plums.
- Flying Saucer, Addison – 5 p.m. – Brew Fusion Tuesday. Selections vary.
- Brownstone, Ft. Worth – 5 p.m. – Craft Tuesdays featuring Rahr & Sons. Includes a three course beer and food pairing, along with a free souvenir ($25pp, call 817-332-1555 to reserve).
- The Ginger Man, Dallas – 6 p.m. – Pint Night featuring Breckenridge Agave Wheat*.
- The Ginger Man, Ft. Worth – 6 p.m. – Pint Night featuring Real Ale Devil’s Backbone*.
- White Rock Abbey, Dallas – 6 p.m. – Pint Night. Selections vary*.
- Mockingbird Taproom, Dallas – 7 p.m. – Flight Night featuring $15 flights, including logo glassware with purchase*. Selections vary.
- Johnny’s Icehouse, Frisco – 7:30 p.m. – Beer Club featuring beer and food pairings ($25pp, call 214-619-1112 to reserve)*.
- Lucky Lou’s, Denton – 9 p.m. – Pint Night*. Selections vary.
- World of Beer, Arlington – Brewery Spotlight featuring Mikkeller.
- World of Beer, SMU – Brewery Spotlight featuring Community Beer Company.
Wednesday, May 22
- Rahr & Sons Brewing Co., Ft. Worth – 5 p.m. – Weekly tour and tasting ($10pp).
- Meddlesome Moth, Dallas – 5 p.m. – Rare tapping featuring Breckenridge 72 Imperial Chocolate Cream Stout.
- The Ginger Man, Southlake – 6 p.m. – Pint Night featuring Brooklyn Summer Ale*.
- Craft and Growler, Dallas – 6 p.m. – Keep the Glass Night featuring Lone Pint*. Scheduled to be tapped: Lily & Seamus and The Jabberwocky.
- Rugby House, Plano – 6 p.m. – Glassware Night*. Selections vary.
- The Bottle Shop, Dallas – 6 p.m. – Glass Night Wednesdays*. Selections vary.
- Flying Saucer, Addison – 7 p.m. – Brewery Night featuring La Soccarrada*.
- Flying Saucer on the Lake, Garland – 7 p.m. – Brewery Night featuring Dogfish Head Rhizing Bines*.
- Flying Saucer, Ft. Worth – 7 p.m. – Brewery Night featuring Breckenridge 471 Small Batch IPA*.
Thursday, May 23
- Four Corners Brewing Co., 4/6/8 p.m. – Small Tour Thursdays ($10pp, click here to purchase tickets).
- Flying Saucer, Addison – 5 p.m. – Tap Night featuring Widmer Old Embalmer.
- Deep Ellum Brewing Co., Dallas – 6 p.m. – Weekly tour and tasting ($10pp).
- Holy Grail Pub, Plano – 6 p.m. – Cellar Thursdays featuring Left Hand Oak Aged Widdershins.
- The Libertine Bar, Dallas – 6 p.m. – Pint Night featuring Duvel*.
- Zio Carlo, Ft. Worth – 7 p.m. – Glass Night*. Selections vary.
Friday, May 24
- Spec’s, Hebron – 3 p.m. – Beer Tasting featuring Rahr & Sons.
- Flying Saucer, Ft. Worth – 4 p.m. – Tap Night. Selections vary.
- Oak St. Drafthouse, Denton – 5 p.m. – Launch Party for Armadillo Greenbelt Farmhouse Ale.
- Lonestar Beverages, Carrollton – 5 p.m. – Weekly tasting. Selections vary.
- The Bottle Shop, Dallas – 6 p.m. – Firkin Friday. Selections vary.
Saturday, May 25
– Weekly brewery tours (each admission includes a logo glass)
- Franconia Brewing Co., McKinney – 11 a.m. – $5pp (glass optional for additional $5).
- FireWheel Brewing Co., Rowlett – 11 a.m. – $10pp, three samples.
- Lakewood Brewing Co., Garland – 12 p.m. – $10pp, four samples.
- Deep Ellum Brewing Co., Dallas – 12 p.m. – $10pp, four samples.
- Cedar Creek Brewery, Seven Points – 12 p.m. – $7pp, three samples.
- Revolver Brewing Co., Granbury – 12 p.m. – $10pp, four samples.
- Rahr & Sons Brewing Co., Ft. Worth – 1 p.m. – $10pp, three samples.
- Community Beer Co., Dallas – 2 p.m. – $10pp, four samples.
- Martin House Brewing Co., Ft. Worth – 2 p.m. – $10pp, three samples.
- Meddlesome Moth, Dallas – 12 p.m. – Rare tapping featuring a flight from the Harpoon Leviathan series.
- Four Corners Brewing Co., – 6 p.m. – Texas Barbecue Meat & Greet with The BBQ Snob Daniel Vaughan (Tickets for $100pp VIP entry here, otherwise RSVP for the regular event here).
Sunday, May 26
- Deep Ellum Brewing Co., Dallas – 5 p.m. – 3rd Annual BrewBQ ($60pp for VIP privileges includes early entry at 4 p.m., otherwise purchase $40pp general admission tickets here)
- Summer in Texas Beer Dinner at Holy Grail Pub, May 27.
- Deschutes Beer Dinner at Park Tavern, May 28.
- Texas on Tap/Real Ale Beer Dinner at Matador Meat & Wine, May 28.
- All Local Beer Dinner at Libertine, May 29.
- Creature Feature at Addison Flying Saucer, May 30.
- Anniversary Week at Common Table, June 3-8.
- Goose Island Brewery Night at World of Beer Arlington, June 4
- Meet the Brewer featuring Community at Ginger Man Plano, June 5.
- Cellar Tap Night at Addison Flying Saucer, June 6.
- Ranger Creek Small Batch Beer Dinner at Flying Saucer on the Lake, June 6.
- Martin House Brewery Spotlight at World of Beer Arlington, June 8.
- Lakewood Beer Dinner at Addison Flying Saucer, June 13.
- BeerFeast at Flying Saucer on the Lake, June 15.
- Dead Cowboy tasting at Jack Mac’s Swill & Grill, June 16.
- Best Little Brewfest in Texas at Texas Motor Speedway, June 22.
- BeerBQ at Addison Flying Saucer, July 21.
Examiner pick of the week:
Deep Ellum’s 3rd Annual BrewBQ
In case you missed it (item’s from the Beer In Big D blog):
- A burger and a beer at Haystack Burgers and Barley
- Dead Cowboy kickstarting brewery in Royse City
* Buy the beer, keep the glass.
Know of an event not listed here? Contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or follow me on Twitter and Facebook. You can also keep up with local craft beer news by visiting my website at BeerinBigD.com.