Online home school is a very popular alternate method in developed countries like USA to educate children at Pre-12. But homeschooling children isn’t so simple, one has to be sure of choosing the right method to learn the curriculum. This article will help parents to check different options available to choose the perfect online homeschool curriculum method for their children. There are seven different curriculum options to choose from which are listed below:
1. Switched-On Schoolhouse Remote access (for Grades 3-12) – This application-based curriculum works on low speed internet. It provides a great interactive and feedback platform to the students. Students can connect to their teachers personally, offers a customizable home page, can add widgets such as the daily Bible verse, word of the day, etc. This application can be accessed remotely with one-click navigation to the student’s schoolwork and lesson plan. Messages sent to the teachers are tied to a specific question to give an ease of access in receiving and reading. Read more about this online homeschool curriculum.
2. Ignitia (for Grades 3-12) – This is one of the most advanced online learning management system. It uses the multi-media platform to engage students and make their learning experience more fun. It features 3D Animation and cutting edge multimedia. Students can complete their schoolwork by answering questions, perform activities, and solve quizzes on a computer with a high-speed internet connection. Students get an opportunity to learn at their pace, master a concept and then move forward to more challenging lessons.
3. Switched-On Schoolhouse CD-based (for Grade 3-8) – This curriculum method allows parents of the students to gain more control over the coursework. They can perform the grading tasks and feel if they do not need any academic support further. Most of the grading is automatic so parents have to grade only the subjective questions, projects, and essays.
4. LIFEPAC (Grades K-8 & some high school electives) – This online homeschool curriculum structure combines exercises, projects, review, and tests. New concepts are introduced in the full-color LIFEPAC worktexts and integrated across all the five subjects in the curriculum. This method also involves phonics-based program to help young readers to master basic letter and sound recognition. This method also emphasizes upon colors, following directions, writing & listening skills. Math-K students will learn through different math activities including counting, comparisons, shapes, directions, problem solving, and money concepts.
5. Horizons (Grades Pre-6) – This method is a combination of fun, entertainment, and academic success. It includes encouraging workbooks with removable pages, daily planners, lesson schedules, and clear objectives. A great package for hands-on learning. It uses a spiral learning method to master the concepts through the process of introduction, review, and reinforcement. The feature that sets apart the Horizon is the distinctive Spiraling approach which maximizes learning abilities and leads to success.
6. Combination (Grades 3-8) – This includes a combination of LIFEPAC and CD or internet based curriculum. This method can have several benefits like freeing the computer for the second child, more writing experience, having the flexibility of having some portable work in case of non-availability of a computer.
7. Horizons Readiness (Preschool) – This method gives preschoolers an introduction to social studies, language arts, math, phonics, and science through Biblically-based lessons and hands-on learning activities. This foundational curriculum also includes topics like health & safety, arts & crafts, music, and physical education adding variety and depth to the curriculum.