To find your child’s learning style depends on how you observe your child’s likes and what he/she enjoys while playing, interacting or learning. Every child has a different way of learning things; this is where an accredited home school can help your child. Each child will have a preference to learn, some love to have stories read out to them and some may prefer playing with blocks, sing songs, or role-play with other children. A professional online home school has a very effective way to assess your child’s preferred learning style.
This learning style is assessed by the theory of multiple intelligences proposed by Howard Gardner in his book Frames of Mind and widely used by professional accredited home schools. This theory was transpired from cognitive research and helps to document a student’s way of learning, remembering, performance, and understanding in multiple ways. In his book Gardner quoted “we are all able to know the world through language, logical-mathematical analysis, spatial representation, musical thinking, and the use of the body to solve problems or make things, an understanding of other individuals, and understanding of ourselves. Where individuals differ is in the strength of these intelligences – the so-called profile of intelligences- and in the ways in which such intelligences are invoked and combined to carry out different tasks, solve diverse problems, and progress in various domains.”
This is where an accredited home school differs from a traditional school, where it doesn’t assume that everyone can learn a particular thing in the same way. We can find different learning styles in the following:
Visual-Spatial Analysis – Does your child like to:
1. Draw pictures?
2. Doodles a lot on notebook?
3. Daydream a lot?
4. Read maps, charts, or diagrams more easily than text?
5. Find his/her way around a new place without any direction?
6. Enjoy taking things apart and then putting them back together?
7. Enjoy building three-dimensional objects, for example LEGO?
Bodily – Kinesthetic Analysis – Does your child:
1. Move around or tap when sitting somewhere for a long time?
2. Enjoy activities like swimming, running, riding a bicycle or skating?
3. Use body movement and hand gestures when talking to people?
4. Like to touch something that is new to him/her?
5. Learn to play sports easily and exercise without getting tired?
6. Show different physical sensations while thinking or working?
7. Imitate other people’s gestures?
Musical Analysis – Does your child:
1. Enjoy listening to music?
2. Like to sing or hum?
3. Get annoyed when music sounds off-key?
4. Enjoy playing a musical instrument?
5. Easily remember the melodies of songs after listening only once?
6. Have a good voice to sing?
Intrapersonal Analysis – Does your child:
1. Have two or more close friends?
2. Understand their friends’ feelings from their facial expressions, gestures, and voice?
3. Care about their friends’ feelings?
4. Approach others with empathy?
5. Help friends to solve their problems?
6. Seem to be street smart?
7. Take place in school organizations and clubs?
8. Seem to be a natural reader?
Linguistic Analysis – Does your child:
1. Enjoy reading books?
2. Like to learn new words and use them when talking or writing?
3. Like to tell and listen to stories?
4. Have a good memory for people, places, names, and dates?
5. Get irritated when someone uses language that is grammatically incorrect?
Logical – Mathematical Analysis – Does your child:
1. Enjoy math class?
2. Enjoy solving math problems or adding numbers in his/her head?
3. Like to work with computers?
4. Ask questions about how things work?
5. Enjoy strategy games, logic puzzles or brainteasers?
6. Like playing chess or checkers?
7. Enjoy doing science experiments?
There is a possibility that your child may possess more than one learning style which is supported by the theory of multiple intelligences that claims human beings posses at least seven types of mental functioning or intelligence, therefore every individual has the ability to use every learning style. Although, an accredited home school advices everybody to have one or two style to work better for a student.