On Monday, CNN’s Piers Morgan grilled the Buckeye Firearms Foundation’s Ken Hanson for the group’s decision to raise over $12,000 to buy George Zimmerman a gun, holster, flashlight, and any other gear he wants.
The Blaze’s Jason Howerton noted that Zimmerman and his family have received a “slew of death threats” following his acquittal in the death of Trayvon Martin. Martin supporters have also issued death threats against his attorney and the jurors in the case. Some have called for Zimmerman to be beheaded.
Although Zimmerman has been found not guilty in the shooting, the Justice Department placed a hold on all evidence in the case, including Zimmerman’s gun, something the group said is outrageous.
Morgan, no fan of the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms, used a hypothetical situation while interrogating Buckeye Firearms’ Ken Hanson.
“What if Trayvon Martin’s older brother is walking in the same area in a few months time, George Zimmerman happens to be passing, finds him suspicious as he did Trayvon…and decides to shoot him as well?” Morgan asked. “Where does that leave you, if you’re the one who supplied the gun?”
“Well, if we’re the ones that supplied the gun, and again remember, we provided money, not a gun,” Hanson said. “But if someone is on top of Mr. Zimmerman, again repeatedly bashing his head into the concrete, and he acts in self-defense, that’s incredible bad luck he found himself in that situation twice. But we’ll sleep soundly.”
Morgan, Howerton said, repeatedly questioned the idea that Zimmerman should be allowed to own a gun following his encounter with Martin and threw out several hypothetical situations in which he could shoot someone else.
Hanson, however, reminded him that Zimmerman is an innocent man and well within his constitutional rights to own a firearm.
“Two different levels of government review have found no fault with Mr. Zimmerman’s actions. We can go through all the hypotheticals you’d like to go through, what it comes down to is that he’s gone through a government review,” Hanson said.
- Gun rights group starts fund to purchase firearm for George Zimmerman
- Trayvon Martin supporters on Twitter call for Zimmerman to be beheaded
- Jesse Jackson: Trayvon Martin a ‘gentleman’; Obama should make sentiment policy
- Author Brad Thor offers to buy George Zimmerman gun of his choice (Video)
- Bad news for Sharpton and Jackson: U.S. one of least racist countries
- McCain ‘impressed’ with Obama’s divisive ‘coulda been me’ speech on racism
- Obama ignores death threats against Zimmerman in ‘Trayvon coulda been me’ speech
- Obama: ‘Trayvon Martin could have been me’ (Video)
- Facebook says ‘Zimmerman must Die’ does not violate community standards
- Judicial Watch: Zimmerman prosecution may have been forced by Obama DOJ
- UPenn professor: Zimmerman verdict shows God is an armed ‘white racist’ stalking young black men
- ‘Kill Zimmerman’ painted on Pennsylvania business before being torched
- Black Caucus to file flurry of bills in response to Zimmerman verdict
- Docs: Obama DOJ facilitated anti-Zimmerman protests with taxpayer money
If you like this article, you can follow Joe on Twitter @jnewby1956, visit and like his Facebook page, or subscribe to receive email updates when a new article is published.
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe’s blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe’s articles at Right News Now, Tea Party Tribune, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.
Be sure to listen to “Grit and Grace” every Thursday from 6-8 p.m. Pacific Time on Blog Talk Radio, where you can hear Joe discuss current events.