As reported by The Manchester Gazette (of Great Britain) on May 27, 2013, a yet to be identified woman has taken away by police, officially because her overt display of patriotism “threatened our community cohesion.”
During supposed “tensions” in the Manchester borough of Oldham on May 26, 2013, a pregnant woman was caught on amateur video peacefully standing on the sidewalk with the flag of the United Kingdom, officially known as the Union Flag, which she shouldered on a makeshift staff (see video, lower left).
Also caught on camera was an individual in a blue shirt apparently having a verbal confrontation with the flag-bearing woman’s male companion.
It was then officers of the Greater Manchester Police (GMP) made their move.
While one officer spoke with the offended individual, a number of police swarmed the baby bump bearing Brit.
While the number of police surrounding the pregnant woman, coupled with the poor quality of the video, it was unclear how physical the police treated one of the mothers of the next generation of British citizens.
An indicating factor of her treatment at the hands of the local constabulary was the tone of alarm and urgency in the voices of passersby as they yelled to police “she’s pregnant!”
Chief Superintendent Catherine Hankinson of the GMP gave a statement to the press, but they appear to be in direct contradiction to what a concerned citizen caught on video.
- Hankinson: “Yesterday (Saturday) afternoon, police became aware that a number of people had gathered in Oldham town centre who were shouting and had flags, some of which were provoking passersby.”
During the course of the video, there appeared to be no type of march or demonstration, just everyday people walking down a city street.
- Hankinson: “As a result there were tensions and some minor disorder.”
The only tension and disorder seen was the blue shirted man taking offense to the Union Flag being carried by a pregnant woman.
- Hankinson: “While we will always allow and help facilitate peaceful protest, we felt that the actions of these people threatened our community cohesion, so it was our duty to do all we could prevent tensions from escalating.”
As seen, the woman was simply standing with a Union Flag over her shoulder. It was the blue shirted individual that initiated the confrontation.
- Hankinson: “Officers dealing with this altercation saw that a woman had a Union Flag and another flag which was highly inappropriate and in our view solely designed to further inflame tensions.”
As proven by the video, the offending woman carried one flag, and one flag only.
- Hankinson: “This woman was therefore taken to one side, the second flag was taken from her and she understood that the flag was causing offence.”
Again, there was no second flag, offensive or otherwise.
- Hankinson: “At no point was she arrested, or did she have her Union Flag confiscated from her.”
If she was ever officially arrested is unclear, but it is clear that she was ordered into a GMP prisoner transfer van to, at a minimum, be detained by police.
The Union Flag was also seen taken from her by a police officer, but not before he dragged it across the dirty pavement.