Lifetime announced on June 21 that the Emmy nominated series, “Project Runway,” will be returning for its 12th season and this season promises to be the most exciting yet. Die-hard fans can expect to experience the show like never before with the integration of a fully interactive on-screen feature and, of course, the return of everyone’s “Make It Work” mentor, Tim Gunn.
The interactive on-screen feature, “PlayRunway,” will allow fans to use their smartphones, tablets and computers to share their reactions to episode storylines, design challenges and decisions by judges Heidi Klum, Nina Garcia and Zac Posen, and mentor Tim Gunn. Additional new fan integration elements include:
- Runway Redemption (#RunwayRedemption) – a mystery contestant from a past season, chosen by fans on mylifetime.com, will be unveiled as the 16th designer for season 12.
- Project Runway Superfan Contest – via video submissions, seven super fans will be chosen to be featured in an upcoming episode this season for a fashion makeover.
- More Tim Gunn – fans have asked and Project Runway has delivered. This season, Gunn will join Klum and the judges to watch the runway show, answer questions the judges have about what transpired in the workroom and give them an opportunity to physically examine the workmanship of each design. Also, for the first time in Project Runway history, Gunn will be able to “rescue” one designer during course of the season he feels deserves a second chance.
The Project Runway Season 12 designers are:
- Alexander Pope, 38 – Hometown: Los Angeles, Calif. – Resides in NYC
- Alexandria von Bromssen, 38 – Hometown: Stockholm, Sweden – Resides in San Mateo, Calif.
- Angela Bacskocky, 33 – Hometown: Richmond, Va. – Resides in Richmond, Va.
- Bradon McDonald, 38 – Hometown: Lowville, N.Y. – Resides in Los Angeles, Calif.
- Dom Streater, 24 – Hometown: Philadelphia, Pa. -Resides in Philadelphia, Pa.
- Helen Castillo, 25 – Hometown: Weehawken, N.J. – Resides in Union City, N.J.
- Jeremy Brandrick, 41 – Hometown: Birmingham, England – Resides in NYC
- Justin LeBlanc, 27 – Hometown: Tampa, Fla. – Resides in Raleigh, N.C.
- Kahindo Mateene, 34 – Hometown: Goma, DRC – Resides in Chicago, Ill.
- Karen Batts, 29 – Hometown: Boca Raton, Fla. – Resides in Queens, N.Y.
- Ken Laurence, 24 – Hometown: Birmingham, Ala. – Resides in Birmingham, Ala.
- Miranda Kay Levy, 29 – Hometown: Wilton, Wis. – Resides in Milwaukee, Wis.
- Sandro Masmanidi, 28 – Hometown: Krasnodar, Russia – Resides in NYC
- Sue Waller, 45 – Hometown: Boston, Mass. – Resides in Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Timothy Westbrook, 24- Hometown: Wanakena, N.Y. – Resides in Milwaukee, Wis.
The winner designer will receive $150,000 from GoBank, $50,000 of next generation technology from HP and Intel, a year’s supply of Resource Natural Spring Water and an all-expense paid spa retreat for two to Maldives, a chance to design and sell an exclusive collection at Belk, a complete sewing and crafting studio from Brother Sewing and Embroidery, a fashion spread in Marie Claire magazine, a 2014 Lexus IS 350, a $100,000 fabric allowance from Tide Pods and a $50,000 styling contract with L’Oréal Paris. It is a prize package worth more than half a million dollars. “Project Runway” season 12 premieres on Lifetime at 9 p.m. on July 18. To check local listing, visit “Project Runway”
©2013 Yvonne P. Mazzulo, All rights reserved.
- Never miss an update! Check out and subscribe to all of Yvonne’s columns on Pop Culture, Dating, Makeup, Women’s Issues, Self-Awareness, Sports and News.
- Connect with Yvonne on Twitter, Facebook Google Plus and Bubblews.