Jon Rakoski of Estero qualified third and won all three of his games in the match-play rounds to capture the top prize of $490 in last Sunday’s Prove It Scratch Challenge at Sarasota Lanes.
Rakoski capped his victory over the 38-player field with a 256-169 triumph over Scott Cobb of Fort Myers in the championship match, following previous match-play wins over Ray Lofthouse of Bradenton (190-162) and Daniel Gassera of Port Charlotte (245-155).
Cobb was the event’s top qualifier with a four-game score of 853, followed in order by Gassera (836), Rakoski (833) and James McCleland of Venice (801).
After Rakoski and runner-up Cobb, the top five was rounded out by John Thompson of Sarasota, Gassera and McCleland. The list of tournament cashers was completed by Paul Nicolazzi of Bradenton, Aaron Albritton of Sarasota, Lofthouse and Beth Owen-Cipielewski of Sarasota.
The tournament was contested on the Kegel Kode Sport Series 35-foot lane-dressing pattern, and tournament director Chuck Souzer has announced the next in the Prove It Challenge series for Sunday, July 28, at Sarasota Lanes.
To access the Prove It Challenge Web site — which provides complete tournament rules, information and results — click here.
Weekly high-score report: Bruns rolls 299 game, Peacock fires 774 series
This week’s usedview.com high-score report from area bowling centers is headlined by Jimmy Bruns’ 299 game and Jennifer Peacock’s 774 series.
Bruns rolled his big game in the middle of a 717 series in the Friday Night Mixed League at Englewood Bowl, where he carries a 215 average.
Peacock continued a string of high scores in the Kays-Ponger-Uselton Friendly Fours League at Treasure Lanes with a 774 series on games of 269, 279 and 226, increasing her average from 225 to 230. Amazingly, in seven weeks of league play, her opening-game average has been 253.
Jessica Hendrickson fired games of 247, 243 and 222 en route to a 712 series in the Sarasota County Mixed League at Sarasota Lanes, where she now carries a 202 average.
Other high-score accomplishments reported by area centers include:
- BOWLAND PORT CHARLOTTE: Jim Ulrich 289-742, Dave Jodoin 289, James Pedico 277, Tim McDonald 269, Craig Nichols 268, Chris Tompkinson 267 and 265-749, Eric Hill 266-928 (4 games), Darrell Wilson 266, John Davis 266; Jill Harper 246-619.
- TREASURE LANES: Jimmy Sella 282, Jason Keosaian 269, Darryl Chamberlin 267, Jayson Taylor 266-714, Dean Williams 265, John Pitzer 702; Carol Hausman 258-612, Renae Gross 225-634, Dawn Smith 225.
- AMF VENICE: John Dolby 267; Dolores Meyers 246-670.
- ENGLEWOOD BOWL: Jim Bruns 269; Deb Myher 232-604.
- SARASOTA LANES: Mike Thompson 278-772.
- AMF GULF GATE: Cindy Grich 607.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald’s usedview.com bowling articles — free of charge — by clicking on “subscribe” near the top of the column, and you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published].