A Rolling Stone Magazine boycott is well underway after the publication revealed it’s August 2013 cover. People were shocked to see that the mag chose Boston bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev as their “model,” using words like “charming,” “popular,” and “promising” to describe the pre-“monster” status of Tsarnaev. On July 17, Rolling Stone began trending on Twitter thanks to thousands of tweets criticizing the magazine for its poor taste.
As previously reported, a Facebook group calling for a boycott was started soon after the cover photo hit the Internet. Thousands of people have said they were going to cancel their subscriptions and others have been writing to the editor of Rolling Stone or calling various Customer Service numbers to try and get the mag pulled.
The Rolling Stone boycott is well underway and the people of Boston seem to be taking a stand as well. According to Nicole Oliverio from 7 News, Mayor Thomas Menino called the cover a “disgrace” and said that he is having his office contact Rolling Stone directly. The magazine has been tweeting away all morning but has not made any mention of the backlash that they have been receiving.
Many wonder why Rolling Stone didn’t choose a more suitable photo for their cover — perhaps Jeff Bauman who got both of his legs blown off in the explosion would have been a fine choice. A great choice. The right choice.
A Rolling Stone boycott could really turn out to be a positive. The magazine might end up pulling their issue which would be a small victory for all of those who are bothered by the cover. The real problem is that glorifying a terrorist seemed okay to some people. Pulling a magazine isn’t going to solve that problem but it sure is a good place to start.
© Effie Orfanides 2013