On June 12, 2013, the Rolling Stones performed at TD Garden in Boston, where they were joined by Gary Clark Jr. on “Going Down,” according to an announcement on the official Rolling Stones website. Clark was also an on-stage guest at the Rolling Stones’ concerts in New York City’s Brooklyn on Dec. 8, 2012, and in Newark, N.J., on Dec. 15, 2012.
AEG Live is the promoter of the Rolling Stones’ 2013 tour, which features former Rolling Stones guitarist Mick Taylor as a guest on all the tour dates. The tour has been named “50 and Counting” as a celebration of the Rolling Stones’ 50th anniversary.
On the Rolling Stones’ 2013 tour, guitarist Keith Richards has been singing lead vocals on two fo these three songs at every concert: “Happy,” “You Got the Silver” and/or “Before They Make Me Run.”
As of May 8, 2013, select concerts on the tour will feature a song performed by request from fans who voted online via the official Rolling Stones mobile app. For each concert, fans will be given a choice of five different songs to vote for, and the Rolling Stones will perform the song that gets the most votes for that concert. The Rolling Stones also did this for their “50 and Counting” concerts in 2012. At the concert on June 12, 2103, the song performed by request was “Sway,” featuring Taylor.
There have been celebrity guests at almost every one of the Rolling Stones’ “50 and Counting” concerts. On previous concerts of the 2013 tour, the celebrity guest stars were:
- Keith Urban and Gwen Stefani (at the Staples Center in Los Angeles on May 3, 2013)
- Tom Waits (at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, Calif., on May 5, 2013)
- John Fogerty and Bonnie Raitt (at HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., on May 8, 2013)
- Katy Perry (at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on May 11, 2013)
- John Mayer (at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif, on May 15, 2013)
- Dave Grohl of Foo Fighters (at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., on May 18, 2013)
- Carrie Underwood (at Air Canada Centre in Toronto on May 25, 2013)
- Taj Mahal (at United Center in Chicago on May 28, 2013)
- Sheryl Crow (at United Center in Chicago on May 31, 2013)
- Taylor Swift (at United Center in Chicago on June 3, 2013)
- Win Butler of Arcade Fire (at Bell Centre in Montreal on June 9, 2013)
The vast majority of the reviews from fans and critics have been positive about the Rolling Stones’ performances on this tour so far. And even though many fans have complained about the tour’s ticket prices (which range from $85 to $600 per ticket), various reports from fans and the media are that the concerts have been playing to full houses.
The tour’s concerts in England are sold out, but for the tour’s concerts in North America, tickets have not immediately sold out and are being sold on the day of the show. Tickets are more likely to be discounted closer to the concert date. The $85 tickets for the North American shows are randomly assigned, and the ticket buyers won’t know where their seats are until they pick up their tickets at the venue.
Here is the Rolling Stones’ set list for their concert at TD Garden in Boston, on June 12, 2013:
Get Off of My Cloud
It’s Only Rock ‘N’ Roll (But I Like It)
Paint It Black
Going Down (with Gary Clark Jr)
Beast of Burden
Sway (by request from fans; with Mick Taylor)
Doom and Gloom
One More Shot
Honky Tonk Women
You Got the Silver
Before They Make Me Run
Midnight Rambler (with Mick Taylor)
Start Me Up
Sympathy for the Devil
You Can’t Always Get What You Want
Jumpin’ Jack Flash
(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction