Sunbathing used to be the only way to get a tan, but today there are several ways to achieve the golden glow that you desire, while avoiding harmful UV rays. Two of the most popular methods are UV tanning and spray tanning. Aside from these two popular methods, there is also the option of using tanning lotions.
Risks of UV Tanning
- According to the World Health Organization, UV rays from tanning beds may be just as harmful as sunbathing. Just like sunbathing, using this method of tanning may increase a person’s risk for developing skin cancer, such as malignant melanoma. UV rays can also damage the look of the skin, damage the eyes and suppress the immune system.
You not only want to protect your skin from UV rays from tanning beds but also UV rays from the sun. The U.S. Government identifies ultraviolet radiation (UVR) from both the sun and from tanning machines as a known cause of skin cancer in humans. To add to that, studies suggest that tanning bed use before the age of 35 increases the risk of melanoma by 75%. The good news? You can still achieve a beautiful, bronzed look without the negative effects of the sun. Try Self-Tanning Bronzing and Bronzing Powder for beauty without the bake.
Benefits of Spray Tanning
- According to the Mayo Clinic, spray tanners do not use UV rays, which are harmful to the skin and health of the user. Therefore, spray tanning is a safer alternative to sunbathing and using tanning beds. Spray tanning works by using the active ingredient DHA (short for dihydroxyacetone,) which causes dead skin cells to darken.
Spray tanning is a popular alternative to tanning beds, but can be expensive. If you opt for spray tanning a professional preference is to be airbrushed to insure complete coverage and airbrushing tends to result in a bronzed tone vs. an orange tint that spray tanning booths can sometimes result in.
Self-tanning lotion, gel, foam or spray is a time and money saving alternative, which you can use to achieve that golden glow in the convenience of your home. An insider tip to insure a flawless application for spray tanning and at home self-tanning is to exfoliate and moisturize prior to application. Pay special attention to knees and elbows when exfoliating and moisturizing.
You can also add a dab of body lotion to a self-tanning lotion or gel formula when applying to knees and elbows; for a less intense color to insure no dark spots, because self-tanner’s adheres more concentrated to dry skin cells.
Top Rated and Recommended Self-Tanners:
- Fake Bake Flawless Self-Tan Liquid – $14.50 (Personal Favorite)
- Banana Boat Ultra Mist Summer Color Self-Tanning Mist – $6.67
- St. Tropez Tanning Essentials Self Tan Bronzing Spray – $27.90
- Banana Boat Summer Color Self-Tanning Lotion, Deep Dark – $6.10
- Merle Norman Self-Tanning Bronzing Foam – $22.00
If you’re going to spend time outside, remember to take care of your skin, use sunscreen!