Several area teams made bold statements in their regional quarterfinal round matchups in the UIL baseball playoffs over the weekend. Not just satisfied with advancing, seven teams among the Class 5A and 4A brackets swept their opponents out of the playoffs.
Only one best-of-three series involving Houston-area teams went the distance.
In Region II-5A, Klein Collins and The Woodlands both swept their opponents to move forward into the semifinal round.
Klein Collins eliminated District 13-5A foe Kingwood with a pair of strong pitching performances that were boosted by timely hitting. The Tigers won 6-1 on Friday behind Jake Jarvis’ one-hitter before their 12-0 victory in six innings on Saturday behind Francisco Pena’s two-hit shutout.
“(Those pitching performances) definitely relieves a little a little tension for the coaching staff,” said Klein Collins head coach Miguel Carlos following Saturday’s game, in reference to his pitchers.
“Paco (Pena) did a great job on the hump for us and mixed his pitches really well,” Carlos continued. “JJ (Jarvis) was working great and mixed in his fastball and his curve and kept them off their timing.”
The Woodlands experienced similar dominant mound performances in their sweep of Round Rock.
Carter Hope allowed one hit, two walks and struck out seven batters in the Highlanders’ 4-0 win at Mumford on Thursday night. Ryan Burnett followed on Friday night with a fifteen-strikeout outing in an 8-2 victory.
After allowing a pair of first-inning runs by the Dragons, Burnett did not allow a Round Rock hit over the final six frames.
The Highlander lineup batted .315, scoring 12 runs on 17 hits. Alex Dunlap went 4-for-7 with three doubles and two RBI and Chris Andritsos was 3-for-6 with a home run and two RBI to lead the way.
Klein Collins moves on to face Rockwall and The Woodlands will take on Plano West. The winners of those two pairings face each other for the Region II-5A championship.
In Region III-5A, the defending state champions stayed alive with a sweep of the Memorial Mustangs. Zach Brosch delivered a no-hitter in the series opener, a 5-1 win, and Cy Ranch scratched out a come-from-behind 7-5 win in the second game.
Tyler DeLeon and Bryce Johnson homered two fuel the closing victory.
The Mustangs will be joined in the fourth round by District 17-5A mates Jersey Village, who swept the Katy Tigers with 6-1 and 5-2 victories.
The 17-5A teams will both face tough foes in the semifinal round.
Cy Ranch draws the Dulles Vikings, who crafted a 7-4 win over Deer Park and Josh Pettitte eight days after Pettitte had no-hit the Kempner Cougars in the area round.
Jersey Village faces Pearland, who convincingly defeated District 22-5A foe and neighborhood rival Manvel in back-to-back shutouts.
The Oilers’ Blake Goins allowed three hits and struck out seven in a 7-0 victory that was followed by a 1-0 decision in which Andre Shewcraft struck out 13 Mavericks batters. Skyler Valentine’s second-inning RBI single brought home the game’s only run.
A complete scoreboard of all Houston-area teams follows.
* * * * *
UIL Class 5A Region II Regional Quarterfinal Round
Round Rock vs. The Woodlands
- Game 1: THE WOODLANDS 4, ROUND ROCK 0
- Game 2: THE WOODLANDS 8, ROUND ROCK 2
Kingwood vs. Klein Collins
- Game 1: KLEIN COLLINS 6, KINGWOOD 1
- Game 2: KLEIN COLLINS 12, KINGWOOD 0
* * * * *
UIL Class 5A Region III Regional Quarterfinal Round
Jersey Village vs. Katy
- Game 1: JERSEY VILLAGE 6, KATY 1
- Game 2: JERSEY VILLAGE 5, KATY 2
Manvel vs. Pearland
- Game 1: PEARLAND 7, MANVEL 0
- Game 2: PEARLAND 1, MANVEL 0
Houston Memorial vs. Cypress Ranch
- Game 1: CYPRESS RANCH 5, MEMORIAL 1
- Game 2: CYPRESS RANCH 7, MEMORIAL 5
Dulles vs. Deer Park
- Single Game: DEER PARK 7, DULLES 4
* * * * *
UIL Class 4A Region III Regional Quarterfinal Round
Nederland vs. Montgomery
- Game 1: MONTGOMERY 3, NEDERLAND 1
- Game 2: MONTGOMERY 15, NEDERLAND 5
Ridge Point vs. Tomball
- Game 1: RIDGE POINT 8, TOMBALL 6
- Game 2: TOMBALL 6, RIDGE POINT 0
- Game 3: TOMBALL 13, RIDGE POINT 0
Barbers Hill vs. Georgetown
- Game 1: BARBERS HILL 2, GEORGETOWN 1
- Game 2: BARBERS HILL 5, GEORGETOWN 4
Foster vs. Galveston Ball
- Single Game: FOSTER 10, BALL 1
* * * * *
UIL Class 3A Region III Regional Quarterfinal Round
Bridge City vs. Huffman-Hargrave
- Single Game: HUFFMAN-HARGRAVE 5, BRIDGE CITY 4
* * * * *
UIL Class 3A Region IV Regional Quarterfinal Round
Needville vs. La Grange
- Game 1: LA GRANGE 4, NEEDVILLE 3
- Game 2: NEEDVILLE 6, LA GRANGE 5
- Game 3: LA GRANGE 3, NEEDVILLE 2
El Campo vs. Boerne
- Game 1: BOERNE 5, EL CAMPO 4
- Game 2: BOERNE 7, EL CAMPO 5
* * * * *
UIL Class 2A Region IV Regional Quarterfinal Round
East Bernard vs. Hallettsville
- Game 1: HALLETTSVILLE 6, EAST BERNARD 5
- Game 2: HALLETTSVILLE 11, EAST BERNARD 1
Danbury vs. Schulenburg
- Game 1: DANBURY 3, SCHULENBURG 0
- Game 2: DANBURY 6, SCHULENBURG 3