Hello again lovelies! The House of Clairol decided to be sweethearts and share with TME readers, step-by-step tips for two incredibly easy and super sexy hair color trends for gorgeous summer hair.
Now, loyal readers know that The Makeup Examiner is less then enthusiastic about the ombre hair color trend. Ssshhh. I know that ombre has been THE hottest trend on the red carpet. Sometimes it just takes a different perspective to change one’s mind. Enter … Clairol Color Director, Marie Robinson, who has flipped the script, taken the uber popular ombre hair color trend and quite literally … flipped it around! Yes, The Makeup Examiner loves the Reverse Ombre look.
The next amazing hair color trend for summer comes from Marcy Cona, Clairol Global Creative Director of Color and Style. Marcy’s Color Tapestry technique combines two beautiful hues, adding dimension to the look and leaving shiny, natural-looking highlights … like the ones that you get when you’ve been having fun in the sun. Watch the Reverse Ombre and Color Tapestry Technique videos on The Makeup Examiner’s blog and print out the step-by-step tips below!
Reverse Ombre Technique – Marie Robinson
Product/Shade Selection: Current shade – blonde to medium brown; Nice ‘n Easy liquid hair color; Use 2 shades in the same tone family for desired color; Choose a shade 1-2 shades darker than your current color for your first shade; Choose a shade 3-4 shades darker than your current color for your tips to add drama.
- Read instructions, put on gloves provided in the box before using any color, perform Allergy Test 48-hours prior/Strand Test to predict results
Prepare your hair color essentials (Petroleum Jelly or Waxelene, Plastic Clips, Large Tooth Comb and Towels)
Divide hair into 4 large, equal sections. Secure each section with a plastic clip
- Prep your lighter shade of Nice ‘n Easy; start application several inches away from scalp to mid length to all 4 sections
When mid-lengths are fully saturated, prep your darker shade and apply from ends of hair to middle where your first color ends
- Process for 25 minutes
- Rinse, condition and style
Color Tapestry Technique – Marcy Cona
Product/ Shade Selection: Use 2 shades in the same tone family for desired color; Current shade – dark blonde, light brown to medium brown, medium brown to dark brown; Choose one Natural Instincts shade for tone, second Natural Instincts shade for depth; Tone Shade – up to 3 shades lighter than your starting color; Depth Shade – current color or 1 shade darker.
- Read instructions, put on gloves provided in the box before using any color, perform Allergy Test 48-hours prior/ Strand Test to predict results
- Prepare your hair color essentials (Makeup Sponge, Petroleum Jelly or Waxelene, Plastic Clips, Large Tooth Comb and Towels)
Shampoo and towel dry hair
- Curly texture: separate into four equal sections; secure each with a plastic clip
Smooth texture: create deep side part and separate into four equal sections, ear to ear; use plastic clips if necessary
- Apply lighter shade from roots to tip in all 4 sections
- Braid each section. Using the makeup sponge, apply depth shade on the surface/along the weave of the braid, leaving the ends out
- Process 10 minutes
- Rinse with warm water
- Use your inbox Color Conditioning Treatment to condition your hair, leave on for 2- 5 minutes, rinse and style
Remember lovelies — Ugly is not a physical flaw, but is of one’s character … choose beautiful!
©Yvonne P. Mazzulo, aka, The Makeup Examiner. All rights reserved.
- Never miss an update! Check out and subscribe to all of Yvonne’s columns on Pop Culture, Dating, Makeup, Women’s Issues, Self-Awareness, Sports and News.
- Connect with Yvonne on Twitter, Facebook Google Plus and Bubblews.