While the weather is warming up outdoors, many are throwing on their summer fashion and realizing how they need to remedy their pale skin. For those planning a summer vacation, many dread the thought of slipping into a swimsuit looking so white.
Not to worry. This is where sunless tanning lotion can help.
“Sunless tanning lotion is a great tool we can all use as a springboard into the summer months,” said the spokesperson at Skin Care Heaven, an e-commerce skin care store based in San Diego. “A quality lotion can look like a real suntan.”
The spokesperson pointed out that for those with sensitive skin issues, it’s best to get a sunless tanning lotion for the body, and then another, for the face. The top pick in this category at Skin Care Heaven is made by Sun Laboratories. Boasting an array of shades, this manufacturer offers Sun Laboratories Strictly Faces Self Tanning Cream and Sun Laboratories Self Tanning Lotion. Their mist self tanning products are also popular choices, too.
“It’s important to note that even with the best products, preparation and application is really important to get that perfect sun-kissed tan,” the spokesperson said.
Below are some easy-to-follow steps to get that natural look.
- Use a body exfoliator to remove dry skin to prepare the body for sunless tanning
- Rub in a very thin coat of a body butter or body moisturizer
- Apply sunless tanning lotion with a damp sponge
- Move the sponge in small circular motions versus up and down – this will avoid streaks
- Following your application, be sure to regularly use a moisturizer in the days and weeks ahead
- Avoid hot baths and instead take quick, warm showers then blot dry
- Use a gentle facial exfoliator to prepare skin for sunless tanning
- Rub in a thin coat of a facial moisturizer with fingertips
- Use a damp makeup sponge for application
- Apply small amounts at a time in circular motions until desired color is reached
- Be sure to moisturize on a regular basis to preserve the sunless tanning lotion for as long as possible
“When it comes to areas of the body which have wrinkles, such as the knees and elbows, be sure to apply a thin layer of sunless tanning lotion to avoid unnatural darkness in these zones,” said the spokesperson. “The best rule of thumb is to take your time with the application so it is done right.”
Self tanning cream can give an overall healthy glow even before the first that first visit to the beach or poolside.