Sunscreens for our children can protect from damaging sun-rays. Good news for the sandwich generation who weren’t warned of the effects of salving baby oil all over and baking in the sun for hours upon hours? We still need trips to the dermatologist to make sure those freckles haven’t turned cancerous, but we can prevent more damage, and reverse some of that sun damage.
Good news from a study funded by the Australian government, researchers took silicone impressions of the backs of participants’ hands at the beginning of the study and after 4½ years. Trained assessors then graded the patterns of lines and skin coarseness on the hand impressions on a scale of one to six. The damage seen on the surface of the skin reflects the tissue damage underneath the skin, said Adèle Green, senior scientist and head of cancer and population studies at Queensland Institute of Medical Research in Australia and lead author of the study. Those using sunscreen 71% less sun damage.
It’s very hard to steer clear of the sun with our own need to exercise, and our children and grandchildren’s soccer games, swimming matches, and other outdoor activities. Simple park days where we think we’re protected under that shade is still dangerous.
With rules implemented last year by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration sunscreens must say broad-spectrum – protecting against both UVA and UVB rays—and that have an SPF of 15 or higher can claim to reduce the risk of early skin aging and skin cancer. Lists of 2013 best sunscreens.
The new rules also say that products claiming water resistance must say how long a user can expect to get that protection while swimming or sweating. We must read and follow these directions for the full protection.
While it’s not as deadly as other cancers, skin cancer kills almost 12,000 people each year and there were more than 68,000 new cases of melanoma skin cancer (the deadliest) reported in 2009 [source: American Cancer Society]. Non-melanoma skin cancers are mostly located in the areas that aren’t exposed to the sun. Melanoma skin cancers are almost always due to sun exposure, which is why sunblock is an essential item for anyone who yearns to spend extended amounts of time outside.
While most people may not adhere to this advice, it’s recommended that adults visit their dermatologist at least once per year for a full body examination. This is if you’re completely healthy and have no history of skin cancer. Once you see your dermatologist for an exam, and he or she gets you and your family’s history, he or she may recommend that you have more than one exam per year. And if you or your family has had occurrence of skin cancer or non-cancerous growths, you should go twice a year.
Now we’re going to do everything we can to prevent further sun damage, and make sure what is there is not cancerous.
- Do use sunscreen containing zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. These offer broad spectrum protection and have minimal absorption through the skin.
- Don’t use sprays or powders.
- Don’t use products with containing oxybenzone, which readily penetrates the skin.
- Don’t use sunscreens over SPF 50.
- Make an appointment with a dermatologist if you haven’t been seen in over a year.
Alas, for those of us who want to reverse that sun damaged skin, I can suggest a local Southern California location. If you are not in Southern California I would look for a Med Spa that offers these kind of treatments. Women in Orange County, California have their favorite go to place located in Yorba Linda, CA.
Allure’ Med Aesthetics, Inc. offer laser treatments for that sun damaged skin. Wherever you live in Southern California, this location is worth the trip. Home of the Timeless Transformation a 5 part system that will leave you with the best of the best of skin rejuvenation.
- First the DiamondTome™: Deep exfoliation: fantastic for melasma, brown spots, wrinkles, fine lines, oily & acne prone skin and more. This system can be customized to the client’s individual skin type and is for anyone who wants deep exfoliation and deep product penetration. The results are instant. Using the patented technology of DiamondTome™ exfoliation first, followed by the Hydro Wand® you can penetrate, hydrate, and nourishes the skin all in one treatment!
- Then time to continue with the rejuvenation of your skin. The LimeLight Facial is a new, non-invasive approach to treating benign pigmented and vascular lesions. The procedure offers the advantage of improving skin tone and surface imperfections associated with aging and photo damage. The LimeLight Facial is ideal for any part of your face, neck and décolleté with skin redness, telangiectasia (tiny veins) or brown spots. Light (low contrast) brown spots, which were previously difficult to resolve, respond very well to treatment.
- Ultra sound which will help absorb hyaluronic solution to your surface of your skin. Human skin can speak volumes about one’s health, and indeed is a reflection of inner health the vast majority of time. Yet, sometimes no matter what steps a person takes his or her skin looks older than desired. This can be the result of stress, excess sun exposure, insufficient antioxidants, metabolic conditions and a myriad of other factors. This does not necessarily mean that a person is not healthy on the inside, yet the skin may not fully embody that radiant glow from within. It is not necessary to passively accept this reflection of a person’s inner level of wellness.
- Genesis: Firms and tightens skin. Laser Genesis Skin Therapy uses advanced science to achieve vibrant, even skin tone and smooth texture in both men and women. Light penetrates deeply into the skin where collagen is manufactured, stimulating an increase of new collagen production. Unlike harsher methods, this is done without destroying the upper layers of skin (non-ablative). The Laser Genesis procedure safely, discretely and effectively treats scars, uneven textures, fine line wrinkles and large pores. The result is skin with smoother texture and a healthier appearance. The skin is gently warmed during this procedure, and daily activities may be resumed right away. This is truly a rejuvenating experience with no downtime.
- Oxygen: Refreshes skin after treatment. Oxygen therapy is ideal for mature or dry skin, but can be beneficial to many skin types. Whether male or female, young or old, this skin treatment can be an effective and relaxing process. It is believed that oxygen can stimulate the growth of new cells as well as restore skin moisture. Oxygen is also used to detoxify the skin. Harmful toxins are washed away and replaced by healthy nutrients. The oxygen propels these nutrients to the skin cells, thus promoting healing, moisturizing, firming, and conditioning.
Rodora (Rhoda) Helring, RN, BSN, Aesthetics RN at Allure’ Med Aesthetics, Inc. is known for her gentle touch. She is the best in Orange County and Los Angeles and trusted among celebrities. Once you’ve met Rhoda you simple can’t go anywhere else. You can trust Allure Med Aesthetics, Inc. for all your Botox, Radiesse, Restylane, Juvederm and other anti-aging therapies.
With the FDA on our side, making sure the sunscreen we are buying is going to do the job it claims, it makes sense use it religiously. For those of you who have neglected this daily ritual and want a chance to start brand new, this is a solution.
Call: 714-985-9080 and make time to come in for your free consultation. Each patient is different and before any treatment is starting the patient is required to come to for an initial exam and consultation to determine extent and degree of the treatment care plan. Financing is available.
Enjoy the summer, but be smart about it.
Lois Trader invites you to get involved with the latest discussions, articles, recipes and news for Life Long Health.
Visit Lois @ http://americanheartbreakers.org
“This is a very significant day for us. The FDA is announcing major changes in how sunscreens are regulated in the U.S.,” Janet Woodcock, MD, director of the FDA center for drug evaluation, said at a news conference. “This will allow people to make better decisions and better protect themselves from sun-induced damage.”
Babies need Sunblock
new to sunscreen labels will be a clear message stating how long water-resistant sunscreens maintain protection after a person swims or sweats. Labels will specify either 40 or 80 minutes of protection. Those that aren’t water resistant will have to carry a warning to that effect.
Sunscreen labels now will be able to claim that a product protects against skin cancer if it has an SPF rating of 15 or higher. And the product can claim to protect against sun-related premature skin aging if it has the broad-spectrum designation.
Yes even Barbie gets sun damage.
The FDA is asking the manufacturers of spray sunscreen products to prove how well the products work when used by consumers. There’s concern that people may use too little of the products, thus failing to get the level of sun protection the label would lead them to expect.
Spray sunscreen makers also will have to prove there’s no danger from accidentally inhaling the products while applying them to children and adults.