Your Beatles calendar for the week:
- Ringo “Peace & Love” exhibit: This exhibit, opening June 12 at the Grammy Museum in Los Angeles, will feature pictures and items from Ringo’s personal archives, “an unprecedented in-depth look at all aspects of Starr’s musical and creative life as a musician, artist, actor, and as the man the world knows and loves simply as ‘Ringo’.” Continues through November. The museum is located at 800 West Olympic Blvd., Suite A245, Los Angeles, CA. Admission is $12.95 for adults; $11.95 for senior citizens (65+); and $10.95 for students with I.D. (ages 6 – 22) and members of the military, with museum members and children under 5 admitted free.
Paul McCartney’s Out There! Tour:
Paul McCartney’s Out There! Tour: June 8 (and 10) at Barclays Center, New York City, then June 14 at Bonnaroo Music Festival in Tennessee. (See our complete roundup of coverage here and talk about the tour on our Paul McCartney 2013 Tour News page on Facebook.)
“Strawberry Fields Forever” with White Album Ensemble, 8 p.m. June 1, Santa Cruz Civic Auditorium, Santa Cruz, CA.
- The Beatles LOVE, Cirque du Soleil, Mirage Hotel, Las Vegas. Performances: Thursdays through Mondays at 7:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. No performances on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Tickets: http://bit.ly/HRmbk4
- 1964: The Tribute: June 8: Hoquiam, WA. June 15: Grand Rapids, Mich. More info: http://www.1964thetribute.com.
- Liverpool Legends with Louise Harrison, Tuesdays through Saturdays until Aug. 10, Andy Williams Moon River Theatre, 2500 West Highway 76, Branson, Mo. Tickets: 800-666-6094. Information: http://www.liverpoollegends.com/calendar.html
- The Fab Four: June 8: Napa, CA. June 14: Jim Thorpe, PA. More info: http://www.thefabfour.com.
- Rain: A Tribute to the Beatles: New tour dates to be announced soon, according to website. Info: http://www.raintribute.com.
- Laurence Juber: June 8: SOHO, Santa Barbara, CA. June 9: Fiddlers Crossing, Tehachapi, CA. June 22: Boulevard Music, Culver City. (4 p.m. workshop, 8 p.m. concert.) More info: www.laurencejuber.com.
- The Fab Faux: June 1: Lancaster, PA. June 22: Red Bank, N.J. June 29: Boston, MA. More info: www.thefabfaux.com.
- “Just Imagine!”: John Lennon tribute with Greg Piper, June 8 to Aug. 25, Hayworth Theatre, Los Angeles.
- Bootleg Beatles: June 14: Liverpool. June 29: Glastonbury Festival. http://www.bootlegbeatles.com/gigs.html
- Creme Tangerine: June 8: Bellevue, WA. June 14: Issaquah, WA. June 29: Seattle, WA. http://www.cremetangerine.com/show-times/ .
- Doctor Robert: June 15, Carbondale, CO. June 27, Salida, CO. Info.
- Beatles Brunch, 12 p.m. Saturday, B.B. King’s, New York City.
- “Made In Liverpool Sunday Show,” Beatles tribute, 14:30 London time, The Cavern Club, Liverpool. Information: http://www.cavernclub.org
- “The Two of Us Monday Show,” weekly tribute to Lennon & McCartney, 18:00 Mondays, the Cavern Club, Liverpool. Information: http://www.cavernclub.org.
- “Saturday With the Beatles,” weekly Beatles tribute show with the Cavern Club Beatles, 8:30 p.m. Saturday, The Cavern Club, Liverpool. Information: Information: http://www.cavernclub.org.
- Beatleshow, 5:30 p.m. nightly, Saxe Theater, Las Vegas.
- Beatles convention, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 30, Best Western Hotel, Leiden, Netherlands.
- Marin Sonoma Beatles Festival, noon July 28, Sheraton Sonoma County Petaluma Hotel, Petaluma, CA.
- Abbey Road on the River, Aug. 30 to Sept. 1, Nautica Entertainment Complex, Cleveland, OH.
- Fest for Beatles Fans, Aug. 9 to 11, Hyatt Regency O’Hare Hotel, Chicago.
- Beatlesfest 2013, Aug. 10, Hammond, Ind.
- Liverpool Beatles Week, Aug. 21-27. Events listing is at http://www.cavernclub.org/beatle-week-events.
- Liverpool Intl. Beatles Convention, Aug. 25, Adelphi Hotel, Liverpool.
- Beatlesday, Oct. 12, Mons, Belgium.
- Beatmeet, Oct. 27, Best Western Hotel, Leiden, Netherlands.
- Dublin Beatles Festival, Nov. 7-10, Dublin, Ireland.
- British Invasion 2014, Hard Rock Rivera Maya Hotel, Cancun, Mexico.
“Good Ol’ Freda”: June 11 and 14, SouthSide Film Festival, Bethlehem, PA.; June 14 at Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival, Manchester TN.; June 14: Film and Music Festival, Martha’s Vineyard, MA. June 29-30, Nantucket Music Festival, Nantucket Mass. Information: http://www.goodolfreda.com.
- The Art of John Lennon: Website: http://www.lennonart.com/
- The Artwork of John Lennon: Website: http://johnlennonartwork.com/
- June 9, 1957: John Lennon and the Quarrymen enter a talent contest and lose.
- June 10, 1961: The Beatles are signed to a one-year record deal by Bert Kaempfert.
- June 11, 1965: The Beatles are awarded MBEs at Buckingham Palace.
- June 14, 1964: Ringo Starr is reunited with the Beatles in Melbourne after having his tonsils removed.
- June 15, 1966: “Yesterday & Today” album released in the U.S.
Last week’s top Beatles stories:
- Review: Ringo’s ‘Photograph’ e-book peers into his photos – and his thoughts (Photos)
- Beatles, Sony/ATV sued over non-release of ‘Lost Concert’ film
- Rusty Anderson discusses McCartney, more in special interview debuting Saturday
- Found: Stephen Colbert’s long-lost impersonation of a Beatle (George) on TV
- Paul McCartney to sing on special edition of ‘The Colbert Report’
- ‘Flash Harry,’ Nilsson’s last, with Ringo, Lennon, finally set for U.S. release (Photos)
- Festival pays tribute to Beatles’ last show at the Cavern
- Beatles spoof The Rutles to reunite for ‘last time’ gig in August
- Friends come together to help ‘World’s Greatest Beatles Artist’ after operation
- “Things We Said Today”: Each week, myself and Ken Michaels of “Every Little Thing” discuss the latest Beatles news topics. The latest show on Beatles-a-Rama and Fab4Radio.com this weekend and on iTunes and Podbean.com on Monday, features an exclusive interview with guitarist Rusty Anderson. Now online at the show’s page on Podbean.com and on iTunes is a discussion of Wings’ career accomplishments with expert Joshua Lapin-Bertone. “Things We Said Today” is available on iTunes (where you can subscribe to us) and Podbean.com, and can be heard at 11:30 a.m. ET/8:30 a.m. PT Saturdays on Beatles-A-Rama and noon ET/9 a.m. PT Saturda and noon ET/9 p.m. PT and 11 p.m. ET/8 p.m. PT Sundays on Fab4Radio.com. You can write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- “Every Little Thing”: June 11: This week’s show features a two-hour birthday special for Paul with rarities and oddities. The show airs Wednesday from 8 to 10 p.m. EST on 88.7 WNHU, West Haven, CT, and can be streamed at www.wnhu.net. “Macca Month” continues at his Ken Michaels Radio website with giveaways of “Wings Over America” and other Beatles prizes. The site also has a new interview with Denny Laine.
- “Fab 4 Free 4 All”: Latest show: “The Beatles Again’/’Hey Jude’ analysis and review.” Available on iTunes and at www.Fab4Free4all.com.
- “Beatle Brunch”: June 9: “Across the Alternate Universe” with different versions of Beatles songs. Info: www.beatlebrunch.com.
- “The John Lennon Hour”: June 9: Beatles author Larry Kane. Weekly hour of John Lennon music and history hosted by Jude Southerland Kessler. 8 p.m. ET Sunday at Beatles-A-Rama. Available through iTunes. Website: http://www.johnlennonseries.com/radio_home.html.
- “Magical Mystery Tour”: Two-hour weekly show hosted by James D. Jones with Beatles and solo music. Saturdays at 3 p.m. CST on WKCC-FM (91.1), Kankakee Community College, Kanakee, Ill. Website: http://www.kcc.edu/radio/programs/Pages/mysterytour.aspx.
- “Recipe Records”: Weekly podcast by Lanea Stagg that features food and music discussion, and often Beatles discussion. Recent episodes have featured Jim Berkenstadt, author of “The Beatle Who Vanished”; David Bedford, author of “Liddypool: Birthplace of the Beatles”; Al Sussman of Beatlefan; Beatles Examiner Stan (aka me); John Lennon Series author Jude Southerland Kessler, and Pat Matthews of Beatles-a-Rama. All shows are here: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/recipe-records-cookbook.
- “Bertone Beatle Bonanza”: Latest show: Jim Berkenstadt, author of “The Beatle Who Vanished.” Website: http://bertonebeatle.libsyn.com/
- “Dennis Mitchell’s Breakfast With the Beatles”: June 9: Stories from “Beatles Stories” DVD. On radio stations in the U.S., Sweden, Canada, New Zealand, U.K. and Germany and online on MaccaRadio, Fab4Radio and Beatles-A-Rama and LV Classic Rock. Show website.
- “Chris Carter’s ‘British Invasion’: New three-hour weekly show on Sirius/XM Ch. 21 at 9 a.m. and midnight ET Sunday. Covers all aspects of the British Invasion and feature artist interviews as well as hits, album tracks, B-sides, and live recordings from artists including The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Mott The Hoople, The Move, The Creation, Oasis and many more.
- “Chris Carter’s Breakfast With the Beatles”: June 16: Peter Tork of the Monkees. On KLOS-FM (95.5) 9 a.m. PT Sunday. Website.
- “The Beatledd Fab Four Hour”: The show, hosted by Edd Raineri, airs live each Friday, 7-8 PM EDT, on WRKC-FM in Wilkes-Barre, PA. You can listen live online at: http://wrkc.kings.edu. The program’s Facebook page can be found at: www.facebook.com/beatleddfabfourhour. .
- “I’ve Got a Beatles Podcast”: “The Beatles Live in 1979?” Information: http://ivegotabeatlespodcast.podbean.com/
- Breakfast With The Beatles hosted by Cha-Chi Loprete: 8 a.m. ET Sundays, WZLX-FM (100.7 FM) in Boston or streaming at www.WZLX.com (Click on Listen Live).
- “Breakfast With the Beatles”: 8 to 10 a.m. CT Sundays, WXRT in Chicago. Also streamed at http://wxrt.cbslocal.com/show/breakfast-with-the-beatles/.
- “On the Beat”: Hosted by Beatles author Spencer Leigh on BBC Radio Merseyside, not primarily a Beatles show, but a lot of the discussion focuses on the Liverpool music scene in the ’60s, often with those who were there. Airs Saturdays at 17:30 (5:30 p.m.) in the UK and archived online for a week after at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p001d7sj.
- “Sounds of the Sixties”: Brian Matthews, who interviewed the Beatles on the BBC in the ’60s, hosts this weekly show featuring music by the Beatles and others from that decade. Programs air Saturdays and stay online for a week at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006wqlv.
- “Beatlesongs”: Hosted by Rob Leonard airs 8 p.m. – 11 p.m. ET Friday on 90.3 FM WHPC and streaming at www.ncc.edu/whpc.
- “Breakfast With the Beatles With Andre Gardner”: The show airs from 7 to 9 a.m. ET Sundays on WMGK-FM 102.9 and 7-9 a.m. PT on KSLX-FM 100.7 in Phoenix.
- “Just Four Guys”: New shows available at 4 p.m. ET Tuesdays at www.mvyradio.com.
- “Dinner Specials With May Pang and Cynthia Nielsen”: More info: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/maypang.
- “Mid-Evening With the Beatles,” from the Philippines, 5 to 9 a.m. Saturday morning Eastern time, at their website http://www.pbs.gov.ph/dzsr.
- “Across the Universe,” hosted by Glenn Calderone from 8-10 p.m. EST Tuesdays on Inravio.com. http://www.inravio.com/batu.html
- “Beatles and Beyond”: Hosted by Pete Dicks. Available at http://www.quaywestonline.co.uk/.
Beatles radio stations:
- Beatles-a-Rama: http://www.beatlesarama.com
- Beatles Radio.com: http://www.beatlesradio.com
- MaccaRadio: http://www.maccaradio.com
- Fab4Radio.com: http://fab4radio.com
Have a Beatles event you’d like added here? Send it to email@example.com with The Week Ahead in the subject.
Subscribe to us free (see button at top) for your daily Beatles news buzz. And you won’t want to miss any of our complete and in-depth coverage of the Beatles, both group and solo, and our exclusive stories and interviews on all our Beatles column pages at Beatles Examiner, Paul McCartney Examiner,George Harrison Examiner and Ringo Starr Examiner. Also, check out our new Monkees Examiner or our Vintage Rock n’ Roll Examiner or TV on DVD Examiner columns for all our othernews coverage.
Copyright Stan. Please do not reprint in full on other sites without permission. Headlines with links, though, are fine and posting any of our links to Twitter and Facebook is much appreciated. Please hit the “like” button on Facebook if you like our work.
We’re also Stan on Facebook and at Ufollow or Pinterest. And don’t miss our weeklyBeatles news podcast “Things We Said Today” available on iTunes, Podbean.com andBeatles-a-Rama and Fab4Radio.com on the weekends.