The Coterie Theatre located in Crown Center announced its 2013-2014 season on Wednesday May 22. This will be the 35th season for the theatre that is known for producing theatre that crosses gender, racial and generational boundaries, on stage and in the community.
Four musicals and three plays will be produced for the Coterie’s main stage in addition to a touring musical for elementary schools and the annual presentation of the Young Playwrights Festival. Producing Artistic Director Jeff Church has chosen four world premieres for the season. “Four world premieres in one theatre season is a rare thing! With any Coterie season, the challenge is to select a variety of shows that challenge the company artistically and offer educational opportunities for students, while simultaneously entertaining the adults and youth that come to us as theatre lovers,” Church went on to say, “My goal is to do that with a mix of familiar titles, new takes on time-honored stories, and brand new music and characters never before seen on stage.”
The Coterie’s 2013-2014 seasons will include:
- Red Badge Variations written by Melissa Cooper and directed by Kyle Hatley will be presented from Sept. 17 through Oct. 5. This will be a world premiere production.
- Dracula: The Journal of Jonathan Harker, based on the novel Dracula by Bram Stoker, adapted by Jim Helsinger and directed by Jeff Church will take the stage from Oct. 9 through Oct. 27.
- The Wiz from the book by William F. Brown with music by Charlie Smalls and directed by Jeff Church will be featured from Nov. 12, 2013 through Jan. 5, 2014. This award-winning classic is being choreographed by Vanessa Severo, with music direction by Anthony Edwards.
- Afflicted Daughters of Salem, a world premiere drama, written by Laurie Brooks and directed by Jeff Church will be presented from Jan. 28 through Feb. 23.
- I Was a Teenage Immortal: Geek Mythology will be on stage from Feb. 25 through Mar. 9. This world premiere musical by Jeff Carey and music by Jessica Jackson will tour the middle and high schools from Jan. 22 through Apr. 4.
- Zeus on the Loose! This world premiere musical will tour elementary schools from Jan. 22 through Apr. 4. The book and lyrics are by Jeff Carey and music by Jessica Jackson.
- Schoolhouse Rock Live! will be produced from Apr. 8 through May 18. This show is based on the ABC-TV educational animated series and directed by Ron Megee.
- The Coterie ignites performances of Schoolhouse Rock Live! Saturday April 12, 19, 26 and May 3, 10 and 17.
- The 2014 Young Playwrights Festival will be held May 4.
- The season concludes with Chitty Chitty Bang Bang from June 17 through Aug. 3. This is the world premiere of the theatre for young audience’s version.
Contact the Coterie Theatre for ticket information at 816-474-6552.