New York City is the new hotbed for tech startups, breathing life into Manhattan’s Lower East Side and revitalizing the Brooklyn waterfront aka the Brooklyn Tech Triangle (comprised of the city’s Brooklyn Navy Yard, the Downtown Brooklyn Partnership and the DUMBO Improvement District). Although the tech scene reaches its tendrils across the city, these neighborhoods have been increasingly impacted by the moving tech and creative companies. With all the exciting tech news circulating your friend, Appular has been locking down the nitty-gritty of the city’s rising tech industry. The buzzing New York team’s got the dish on the coolest events that are happening this week.
Last week, Startupfix hosted an awesome startup lineup at Culturefix, between Houston and Stanton St. The evening was full of demos from great new startups and New York successes, including presenters from Fab.com, Olapic, ADstruc and ShopBevel.
This week has an exciting line of events that’s sure to keep you busy:
– NYC is on the rise of some amazing matchmaking and dating sites and the NYC Mobile Forum is kicking off its Panel on Mobile & Online Dating with host, Tom Limongello, longtime NYC mobile innovator, to discuss how mobile plays a role in online communities and outcomes. Located at AOL Ventures on Broadway, the exciting list of panelists, include:
- Justin McLeod from Hinge. A SXSW 2013 Accelerator finalist, Hinge is the app that helps Facebook users meet people to date through mutual Facebook friends.
- Joel Rodriguez from Acquaintable. The app shows users a curated stream of friends-of-friends and connects people when there is mutual interest.
- Joshua Fischer from SNAP interactive. SNAP develops, owns and operates one of the largest social dating applications on the internet called AYI, offering a completely integrated Facebook, iPhone, Android and web experience.
- Elissa Shevinsky from Makeout Labs, the creators of JSpot, featuring the first spam filter in online dating.
Don’t miss this special event as cocktails will be served. The panel starts at 6:30 pm Tuesday, June 25.
– Projective Space will be presenting an impressive line of startups demos this Wednesday, June 26 at 7:00 pm in the heart of L.E.S at Allen St. The following startups will be presenting:
- ImageBrief is the smart alternative to photo libraries for image buyers and professional photographers.
Ochre partners with agencies, production companies and publishers to deliver interactive video through our proprietary ADVNTR platform.
- Postmates is a revolutionary same day urban logistics & delivery platform. It enables anyone to ship any product within a city in under one hour.
Rockabus is a nonstop bus service that provides the quickest and easiest way to get to the beach for NYC residents.
- Wander is the first visual diary that lets photo feigns capture your life as it really is, in just a few photos a day.
– Finally, this Thursday will bring a quirky social mixer courtesy of Designers + Geeks at Tom&Jerry’s. The Designers + Geeks NY Social Mixer – June 2013 is open to everyone interested in all things geeky, from startups to design and art. Attendees include digital designers and brand development companies such as imcrayon, and Ignite Brand Group. The mixer begins at 7:00 pm, June 27.