This recipe gives you the opportunity to make your mark on the baking world. These cookies are fun, unique, and easy to make. The flexibility of the icing colors allows use of this recipe for any occasion, though there’s no need for a special occasion to bake yummy, adorable cookies. Easy and decorative, these cookies can impress both eyes and mouth of even the toughest critic.
Yield: 3 to 4 dozen
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 & 1/4 cups of powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- Food coloring (as desired)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
3. In another bowl, cream the vegetable shortening and sugar. Mix in milk and vanilla extract. Gradually blend in dry ingredients.
4. Roll dough into walnut-sized balls. Place onto baking sheets 2 inches apart.
5. Bake for 10 minutes until cookies are barely colored. Immediately press a tablespoon-sized measuring spoon into each cookie to form “thumbprint.” Let sit for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool.
6. While cookies are cooling, make icing. Mix milk and powdered sugar until smooth. If using more than one color icing, divide uncolored icing into desired portions. Blend color(s) into icing until desired color(s) is/are reached. If icing is too liquid, add more powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.
7. Fill sandwich/piping bags with icing(s). If using sandwich bag, snip off a corner to pipe from. When cookies are cool, fill “thumbprints” with icing.