Now that wedding season has started for 2013, many of the trends we will continue to see this year are becoming clear. The biggest change from 2012 is a move from rustic to elegance that will be seen throughout the details. Couples still like to put their unique spin on their wedding and they’re finding new ways to do this. Here are some of the top trends you will see this year if you haven’t already.
1) Neutral Colors: Cream, champagne, taupe, grey, and even blush pink are creating neutral color palettes that say “wedding.” Silver and gold accents can bring some sparkle to these soft palettes and lace can add a new layer, all while staying with the color scheme.
2) Green Weddings: Although the color green is showing up a lot this year, these “green weddings” are more concerned with earth-friendly options. Invitations are being sent on recycled paper or plantable paper that contains seeds to grow flowers or herbs. Recycled and upcycled favors and décor are popular, such as these place card holders made of upcycled wine corks.
For a green wedding of your own, try Vera Green Productions, a Fort Worth company that specializes in eco-friendly wedding planning.
3) DIY: Do-it-yourself is still big for every aspect of wedding planning. The trend that spawned from Pinterest is very much alive in 2013. Everything from invitations and décor to attire and jewelry.
It’s not recommended that your first DIY is sewing your wedding dress, but starting with a simpler piece like making your own purse. It is less of an investment financially and psychologically if things don’t go according to plan.
4) Prints: Stripes and chevron have continued to show up, but paisley, polka dot and other graphic prints are also appearing in places like table runners, invitations, cakes, and bridesmaid and groomsmen accents. Any one of them make a bold statement, so one or two placements of print is usually enough to be memorable without going overboard.
5) Streaming: Today’s technology of Skype and live streaming services means even guests who can’t make your wedding in person, can still be a part of the day.
Occasions at Stone River is one local wedding venue that provides live streaming for all on-site weddings.
6) 1920s Inspiration: Thanks to “The Great Gatsby” and “Downton Abbey,” the apparel and ambiance of the 1920s is creeping into 2013. This means brides donning lace, sleeves, and traditional veils. The décor brings a feeling of classic elegance and glamour, in contrast to the rustic and shabby chic of last year.
7) Food Trucks: They have been emerging every month for the past couple years and are now a well-known phenomenon in just about every big city. Did you know though, that almost all are available to cater private parties? Let guests dine on the cuisine of your choice like gourmet comfort foods, sushi, or ice cream sandwiches. Keep in mind that most have sale minimums though, so make sure to calculate ahead if they are right for your budget.
8) Braids: This hairstyle has been weaving its way into summer and formal hair alike. Although this is a contemporary style, the right braided look has a classic feel to it that is pretty and feminine, tying in any number of wedding themes.