With Summer upon us and Fall right around the corner, lots of students will head off to college for the first time. But what if you have Celiac disease? Well, the bad news is you can’t always choose where you’re going to attend college; the good news is that if you are lucky and have a few choices, these ten colleges that are gluten-free friendly might just tip the scales.
1. University of Notre Dame-This gluten-free friendly school is a dream. Inside the main dining area, gluten-free students have their own area! Gluten-free items are also available at all dining locations, on-campus restaurants and convenience stores. Everything is carefully labeled on recipes, ingredient containers, menus, and online databases. In order to keep the students safe, all dining members are trained and understand the severity of food allergies. Can you believe it?
2. Georgetown University-Students have access to a gluten free designated station where they can find similar gluten-free staples. Everything is labeled with a unique gluten-free logo to ensure safety and to avoid cross contamination. Dining hall staff is trained throughout each semester to understand dietary restrictions.
3. University of Arizona– The University of Arizona continues to expand and improve their options for gluten -free students on campus. When a student orders a gluten-free meal, several steps are taken in order to ensure safety, including special colored gloves. The dining member serving the student will stay with them until their meal is completed to make sure no cross-contamination occurs.
4. Emory University-At Emory, the dining staff enables gluten-free students to feel comfortable at their home away from home. The gluten-free station in the main dining hall is very inclusive, and includes hot meals, gluten-free staples, and desserts. They ensure that everything on the salad bar and all salad dressing are gluten-free.
5. University of Connecticut-There is always at least one gluten-free meal option on the menu each day and students always have access to a gluten-free designated area with several additional options. Menu items, ingredients, and food products are clearly labeled once they are brought in from off-campus areas to eliminate cross contamination issues.
The rest include: Ithaca College, Carlton College, University of New Hampshire, Clark University, and Iowa State.