The Council of Independent Colleges in Virginia (CICV) recently announced that Virginia Private College Week is scheduled to run this summer from July 29 to August 3, and will once again offer college-bound students the opportunity to tour and save.
Thanks to some creative thinking, CICV launched an incentive program designed to bring high school students and their families to Virginia’s private college campuses by giving away application fee waivers.
And hundreds of students take advantage of the offer each year as groups of families drive from campus to campus on summer vacations that double as traditional college tours.
It works this way:
- Decide which schools you want to visit. There are 24 from which to choose, and they are located in virtually every corner of scenic Virginia.
- Register for tours at each of the schools you plan to visit. Yes, register. It’s not required, but it really helps schools plan for materials and tour guides.
- Organize your travel plans. Transportation information and driving instructions are available on individual college websites. Note that this is not an organized bus tour.
- Make sure the admissions office knows you’re there—sign in.
- Complete your visit and the college will notify CICV electronically (no more passports).
- After three visits, you will automatically be sent three application fee waivers certified for use at any of the Virginia private colleges.
And these waivers may be used at any CICV member college. For example, if you visit Marymount, Shenandoah, and Lynchburg, you can use your fee waivers at any of those three colleges or at Randolph-Macon, Washington & Lee, or the University of Richmond. Your choice!
By the way, Virginia’s private institutions often get overshadowed by the Commonwealth’s strong public colleges and universities. But you really should take a closer look, as these schools offer wonderful opportunities for students with a variety of college criteria and interests. Much more information, including an interactive listing of colleges by majors, may be found on the CICV website.
And as you’re considering Virginia private colleges, don’t forget about the Tuition Assistance Grant (TAG). This amazing program offers financial awards to students attending any of Virginia’s private colleges or universities. The sole eligibility requirement is that you live in the Commonwealth of Virginia. It’s really pretty sweet.
Also keep in mind that Virginia529 College Savings Plans can be applied to the tuition at any Virginia private college. All four savings programs offered by Virginia529—Virginia529 inVEST, Virginia529 prePAID, CollegeAmerica®, and CollegeWealth®—can be used at any of the Virginia private colleges.
Start making plans now. If you have questions about the tour or the advantages of Virginia’s private colleges, you can call 540.586.0606 or visit the CICV website.