Evansville/Vanderburgh County residents can help reduce their carbon footprint and protect the environment by taking advantage of the Tox Away Day in Central High School’s parking lot on June 8, 2013 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m..
Items to bring for safe disposal include:
• Motor Oil & Filters
• Oil Based Paints
• Auto Batteries & Fluids
• Solvents & Thinners
• Gasoline, Antifreeze
• Household Batteries
• Pesticides & Herbicides
• Aerosol Cans
• Household Cleaners
• Glues & Adhesives
• Photographic Chemicals
• Pool Chemicals
• Fluorescent Bulbs
This is the perfect time to do the spring cleaning you’ve been putting off and make more room in your garage or basement while keeping hazardous items out of the landfill and allowing them to be disposed of properly .
Please do not bring the following items:
• Commercial Waste
• Infectious Waste
• Industrial Waste
• Smoke Detectors
• Radioactive Waste
• Pressurized Containers
• Fire Extinguishers
• Gas Cylinders
• Latex Paint
This event is for residential disposal only. Visit the City of Evansville/Vanderburgh County Where to Recycle for information on business recycling locations and items that are not accepted at Central High School on June 8, 2013.
If you have elderly or infirm neighbors and family members that may have items requiring disposal, this is a great opportunity to help others while protecting the environment for future generations.
Motor Oil & Filters
Improperly disposed of motor oil and filters are a danger to plants and animals and should be contained safely and disposed of at events like Tox Away Day.
Oil Based Paints
Oil based paints can be flammable and the fumes toxic so they need to be disposed of at a proper site for maximum safety if you aren’t able to use leftover paint on any projects.
Auto Batteries & Fluids
Auto batteries and fluids can contaminate the environment if they are not disposed of properly. The chemicals within can poison soil and water and qualify as hazardous waste.
Solvents & Thinners
Most solvents and thinners have a strong odor that can be harmful if not properly ventilated. They are flammable and should be disposed of safely at an approved location.
Gasoline is highly flammable and even when stored in proper containers must be disposed of with extreme care. Antifreeze has a sweet taste which may attract animals but is poisonous if consumed.
It’s easy to forget that household batteries contain corrosive chemicals and must be disposed of properly to keep those chemicals from leaking out and causing harm to the environment.
Pesticides & Herbicides
While pesticides and herbicides are necessary around the house and garden, their proper disposal is also necessary to help protect plants and animals from unwanted exposure.
Most older thermometers contain mercury that actually rises in the thermometer to measure the temperature. The mercury is highly poisonous and must be disposed of with care.
The contents of aerosol cans are under pressure and can explode given the right circumstances. They should never be added to normal trash which may be compacted.
Household cleaners contain chemicals that can irritate the skin and eyes. They should be disposed of properly to keep them from poisoning vegetation and wildlife in the area.
Glues and Adhesives
Glues and adhesives can create serious issues if not disposed of with care. Many have chemicals that create dangerous fumes if not ventilated. Some are flammable and all should be handled with caution.
Gloves and eye protection should be worn when handling photographic chemicals. It’s important that they are stored in safe containers to avoid spills and disposed of as hazardous materials.
Pool chemicals contain things like chlorine which are flammable and emit unpleasant fumes. If you no longer have a need of the supplies, they must be considered hazardous when disposing of them.
Fluorescent bulbs can contain chemicals like mercury, lead and cadmium which are poisonous if not properly contained. They need to be disposed of as hazardous waste.
Pharmaceuticals should never be disposed of down the drain or in normal weekly trash. Even contained, pills may dissolve over time and the chemicals are dangerous if consumed.