Getting all your nutrition each day can be tough. Some people take vitamins, but others consider the pills to be too big or too expensive. Others don’t like the taste of certain fruits or vegetables, and many lack the time or know-how to prepare them. Enter . . . the smoothie!
Smoothies are indulgent, nutritional powerhouses. You can customize the recipe to suit your tastes, and making them takes only minutes. With only a handful of ingredients, you can give yourself a powerful nutritional boost. If you can use a blender, you can make a smoothie.
But you cannot just buy a smoothie from chain stores. They may be alluring, but you don’t know what these establishments are adding to their smoothies. They could use excess sugar, high fructose corn syrup, or artificial juices. They may even add water to their recipe to increase profits.
Avoid the hype altogether and go straight to your kitchen. To prepare a smoothie, you’ll need the following:
- A quality blender
- 2 cups of frozen fruit, your choice
- 2 cups of plain low fat Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons of honey, Splenda or Truvia
- 1 bottle of fruit juice, your choice; must be 100% juice with no sugar added
1. Add the fruit, yogurt and sweetener to your blender.
2. Fill the blender about 2/3 full with juice.
3. Blend thoroughly on the highest setting until all ingredients are combined, or about 30 seconds
- Apply the lid to the blender and hold it in place before blending.
- Do not freeze the yogurt.
- Try a variety of different fruits or even mixed fruits to get as many nutrients as possible.
- Many frozen fruits are available in pre-measured 2-cup bags.
- The longer you blend, the smoother your drink will be.
And that’s all there is to it. No preparation, no complicated steps, and no hidden calories. There’s no reason not to enjoy a glass of liquid gold. So fire up the blender, tip your glass, and drink to your health!