The Blue Star Museum Initiative is back for the 2013 summer season. The initiative allows active duty military and their families to visit participating museums for free between Memorial Day (May 27, 2013) and Labor Day (September 2, 2013). Below are the museums in Tucson participating this year.
Tucson 2013 Blue Star Museum Participants
- Arizona History Museum – Open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays, closed state holidays, 11 and under are always free
- Arizona State Museum – Open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays, closed federal and state holidays, 17 and under are always free
- The Mini Time Machine Museum of Miniatures – Open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays and 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Sundays, closed major holidays, 3 and under are always free
- MOCA Tucson – Open 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesdays through Saturdays, 17 and under, veterans, active military, and public safety officers are always free
- Museum of the Horse Soldier – Open 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily, 6 and under always free, admission on Memorial Day is free for everyone
- Postal History Foundation – Open 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mondays through Fridays and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturdays, always free for everyone
- Tohono Chul – Open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily, closed on 4th of July, 4 and under always free
- Tucson Museum of Art – Open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays; 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Thursdays; and 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Sundays; 18 and under, veterans, and active duty military are always free
Planning on travel around the state or the country this summer, then check out the full list available here.
Arizona State Museum
About the Arizona State Museum: This museum is located on the University of Arizona’s campus at 1013 E University Blvd. The Arizona State Museum first opened in 1893 making it the oldest as well as the largest anthropology museum in the Southwest United States. Admission is $5 for ages 18 and up. Admission is free for those under 18 as well as for U of A and PCC students with ID. The museum is open from 10am to 5pm Mondays through Saturdays. It is normally closed on Sundays as well as state and federal holidays.
Pima Air and Space Museum
About the Pima Air & Space Museum: The museum is open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. with the last admittance being at 4pm. November through May admission is $9 for ages 7 to 12, $15.50 for adults ages 13 and up, and $12.75 for Pima County residents as well as Seniors, AAA, and military. The AMARG (Boneyard) tour is an extra $7.
Mini Time Machine Museum of Miniatures
About the Mini Time Machine Museum of Miniatures: The Mini Time Machine Museum has a variety of miniature displays including a fairy Enchanted Forest themed area. The museum regularly has events for kids on Saturdays that include making miniature crafts. The museum is open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays and 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Sundays. The first Thursdays of the month the museum is open until 8 p.m.
Tucson Museum of Art
About the Tucson Museum of Art: This museum is located at 140 N. Main Avenue, Tucson, AZ. The hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday; 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Thursday; and 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Sunday. Admission is $10 for general, $8 for seniors (65+), $5 for college students, and free for members, high school students, ages 18 and under, and active military or veteran with ID. The first Sunday of every month is free for everyone.