Social psychology has introduced the world to the concept of reciprocity. Basically, when you give someone something they are psychologically triggered to give something back. This trigger can be used to market your book, allowing you to sell more copies here in Long Beach and across the world.
The easiest way for authors to induce reciprocity is to give away a free chapter (or two) of their book. By giving away a free chunk of your book, you accomplish several things:
Because more people will accept your free offer out of curiosity, you will gain more exposure for your work.
Some of the people who read this free chapter will buy the book because of it. Many of them would have been “fence-sitters” that may not have purchase the book without experiencing that free chapter.
You will invoke the reciprocity effect, so some people will buy something from you (or refer others to buy from you) because they feel like they owe it to you.
There are several ways that you can give your free chapters away, including:
- Create a downloadable PDF of the free chapters and use it as an opt-in bonus to grow your list.
- Use the downloadable PDF as a bonus give when partnering with others in giveaway events, book launches, etc.
- Give it away as a downloadable gift at the end of teleseminar or virtual book reading.
- Offer it as a downloadable gift when you host your virtual book launch party.
- Print out the free chapters as a small booklet or even a tiny paperback book and give it away at live book readings or any in-person event you present at. (For example, both Portfolio Coffee House and Apostrophe Books are open do partnering with authors for live events.)
- Create a multi-part e-course from your free chapters and deliver it via email as an e-course.
- Create an audio version of your free chapter and give that away as a downloadable mp3 file or on a CD.
Which way you choose to deliver your free chapters should depend on your ideal readers and they would prefer to receive the free stuff. You want it to be in a format your target readers will consume so that they will be inspired to buy the whole book.
Would you like to shine the light on your writing brilliance? Make your online footprint support your goals as a writer? To learn how Carma Spence can help you own your awesome in business and life, and increase your visibility online visit www.carmaspence.com.
NOTE: Are you a writer, author or editor connected to Long Beach in some way? Please contact me … and you can be a part of my series of profiles of local writers!