This year veteran filmmaker Bernardo Bertolucci is the president of the jury of the official selection at the 70th Venice International Film Festival Jury that runs from Aug 28 to Sept 7.
According to the festival, “Bertolucci is the most active Italian director in the world and one of the most influential in the history of cinema”. His films presented at the Venice Film Festival are “La commare secca (The Grim Reaper)”, “Partner”, “Strategia del ragno (The Spider’s Stratagem)”, “La luna (Luna), and “The Dreamers”. Bertolucci won the Golden Lion of the 75th Festival in 2007, and was also president of the Jury in 1983. The Italian director won nine Oscars for The Last Emperor (1987).
The members of the jury are:
· Andrea Arnold, English director and screenwriter. She won an the Oscar for her short film “Wasp” (2005). Her films “Red Road” (2006) and “Fish Tank” (2009), were in the official selection at the Cannes Film Festival, and she won the Jury Prize twice in succession. “Wuthering Heights “(2011) was in the official selection at the Venice Film Festival and won the Osella for Best Cinematography.
· Renato Berta, Swiss and French national, director of photography. Berta has worked with many directors such as Jean Luc Godard, Louis Malle, Manoel de Oliveira, Alain Resnais, and AlainTanner. Berta won the David di Donatello for Best Cinematography in 2012 for “Noi credevamo (We Believed)”, in competition at Venice.
· Martina Gedeck, German actress. Nominated in 2002 at the European Film Awards for “Mostly Martha” and in 2007 for “The Lives of Others”, which won the Oscar for Best Foreign Film in 2007. In 2009 she starred in “The Baader Meinhof Complex”, nominated for an Oscar for best foreign film.
· Pablo Larraìn, Chilean director, screenwriter and producer. His film “No” was one of the one five nominations for best foreign film at the Oscars in 2013.
· Virginie Ledoyen, French actress. Shared the Silver Bear for Best Actress at the Berlin Film Festival for “8 femmes (8 Women)” in 2002 by François Ozon and the European Film Award. In 2012 she starred in “Les adieux à la reine” by Benoît Jacquot.
· Ryuichi Sakamoto, Japanese composer, musician and producer. Won an Oscar for “The Last Emperor (1987)”, and two Golden Globes for “The Last Emperor” (1987)” and “The Sheltering Sky”(1990).
· Jiang Wen, Chinese actor, screenwriter and director. A director belonging to the “Sixth Generation”. Actor with Gong Li in “Red Sorghum” (1987) by Zhang Yimou and won the Coppa Volpi for Best Actor in his own film” Yangguang canlan de rizi (In the Heat of the Sun, 1994)” .
· One Jury member is to be announced