Finally after a long and stormy few days in Broken Arrow and other parts of Oklahoma, the weekend is once again upon us. With the forecast looking much more pleasant for a few days, it’s time to enjoy some time with family, friends and great food. A luscious quick bread, full of juicy blueberries and the bright but subtle flavor of lemon, is a tasty way to welcome a storm-free weekend.
As berries become more plentiful, the price will drop, making them an affordable, nutritious and delicious snack or tasty addition to your favorite recipes.
This pretty loaf is perfect as an indulgent breakfast or even a light dessert. If time allows, bake one for now and one to freeze.
Lemon Blueberry Quick Bread
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 8×4 inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, vegetable oil, vanilla and lemon zest.
- Add the sifted flour mixture to the buttermilk mixture. Stir together until dry ingredients are just moistened.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool, for 10 minutes on wire rack and then remove from pan.
- Finish cooling on rack.
Makes 1 (8×4 inch) loaf